Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Safety Razor Appreciation

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1110 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Yeah, I went with the JB product as I was in a pinch for shaving cream and decided to give it a try. Kind of waste of money. Lesson learned.

Thanks for the suggestion of Truefitt & Hill or GF Trumper. I'll have to keep an eye out for them.
    If youa re in a pinch and need to buy locally I rpefer the C.O. Bigelow stuff from Bath and Body Works, L'Occitane soaps or the Body Shop "croap". Or even the Vander Hagen puck someone else mentioned. those are everywhere. If you happen to have a barber supply store, proraso is good and cheap too.

For mail order, I like Stirling, Razorock, and Caties Bubbles. I have some other random stuff too but since those are the ones I remember...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)
    Oh man, my face hates Proraso. Just goes to show that everybody's different. I see Proraso recommended a lot, but I get terrible razor burn when I use it.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1110 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thedrake View Post
    Oh man, my face hates Proraso. Just goes to show that everybody's different. I see Proraso recommended a lot, but I get terrible razor burn when I use it.
    Forbsure. And lather method makes a difference. There are so many options though, I see no reason to work hard to make something work for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bassoonguy View Post
    You can get a safety razor for as little as $20.00. A badger brush can be had for about $20.00 as well. Soap and blades might run you another $40.00. So to get started, you are looking at $80.00, perhaps. Of course, that's all dependent upon what you choose. I choose a slightly more expensive razor and brush. Check out www.westcoastshaving.com. I think someone else posted another link as well. Once you buy a razor and a brush, you will only need to repurchase blades and soap from time to time. I buy 100 blades at a time and replace them every year or year and half. Soap usually last me about 6 - 9 months. Compared to those cartridges, replacement costs are significantly lower and justifies the entry cost, in my opinion.
    Yeah, it's no for-one-time-use thing. Take care and it will serve you for years!