Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Safety Razor Appreciation

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1107 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paintflinger View Post
    I wouldn't call it the best part of the day, but it is nice taking something that used to be a chore/jacked my neck up and turning it into something that I enjoy doing. Getting that perfect shave is like chasing that perfect game in golf.
    thats kind of how I look at it. I use the same soap for weeks, then switch to a new one. Or for certain occasions I may pull out one that I know has a more lingering scent. I dont wear cologne so thats about as close as I get. I do have several aftershaves and will use them on occasion to change things up. Shaving used to leave me in discomfort. A lot of rash bumps and ingrowns. I used to have to wear collared shirts and shaving day was awful. But you said it perfectly...something that i used to hate is now something a little fun and I take some joy in that. Plus it is now much cheaper, even with my soap buying binge of 2015. So the highlight of my day? No. But I do take a little enjoyment from it, even if its the satisfaction of finding something better when everyone says "this is just how it is".

oh yeah, thats another advantage to soaps. They last much longer so you can keep a bigger rotation.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    162 Post(s)
    @paintflinger I took your recommendation and ordered a few samples of soap from Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations. What an improvement over Cremo. It's much easier to whip up a good lather and it doesn't dissipate after a few minutes like the Cremo does. I wish I tried it sooner.
    @bassoonguy If you haven't tried a soap yet give Lisa's a shot. Sample are less than $3. I got faux sandalwood, gentlemen lavender and cedar wood. Lisa even threw in a free sample of pre-shave oil with my order.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    @paintflinger I took your recommendation and ordered a few samples of soap from Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations. What an improvement over Cremo. It's much easier to whip up a good lather and it doesn't dissipate after a few minutes like the Cremo does. I wish I tried it sooner.
    @bassoonguy If you haven't tried a soap yet give Lisa's a shot. Sample are less than $3. I got faux sandalwood, gentlemen lavender and cedar wood. Lisa even threw in a free sample of pre-shave oil with my order.
    Glad to hear it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    Sandalwood scents vary wildly, I have found. Trial and error is your best bet.
    I tried the TOB Sandalwood and do not enjoy it. It's actually not as smooth as a cheap Van Der Hagen soap puck I tried on sale and loved! The TOB is also very drying after! I'm going to try the Classic Shaving Soaps mentioned earlier in this thread. I also often use Shave Secret as a pre-shave oil (while in a steamy shower) and that feels great. I may try something else soon.

Anyone have a brush they really like? I'm thinking of going animal friendly or maybe Horse Hair (which is friendly, since they only trim the hair...)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)
    I have a Simpson Commodore badger hair brush that's pretty nice. Definitely nicer than the boar brush I had before it.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1107 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by t.urman View Post
    I tried the TOB Sandalwood and do not enjoy it. It's actually not as smooth as a cheap Van Der Hagen soap puck I tried on sale and loved! The TOB is also very drying after! I'm going to try the Classic Shaving Soaps mentioned earlier in this thread. I also often use Shave Secret as a pre-shave oil (while in a steamy shower) and that feels great. I may try something else soon.

Anyone have a brush they really like? I'm thinking of going animal friendly or maybe Horse Hair (which is friendly, since they only trim the hair...)
    I love my L'Occitaine Synthetic. No soak time, soft but good stiffness for lather. They dont sell them anymore though so that doesnt help you other than to say dont discount synthetic. I have tried horse, badger, and boar but the ease of use for synthetic won hands down. A friend bought a Maggards and is very happy with it. I havent been able to compare yet but have had nothing but good experiences with Maggards. They have different size and color combos but h ere is one to get you started.

http://www.maggardrazors.com/product...-black-handle/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Update: Shave Brush - Satin Tip - The Purist Luxyry Synthetic brush. I got one and I have been using it for months. Works great (and looks classic) so far!

Shave soap: the classic shaving mug pucks are great. Lathers quickly and smells good, but not too strong. I did use mine up pretty quickly, so going to try the larger pucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1432 Post(s)
    Regarding shave soap, I bought a tub of Jack Black shaving cream. Man that stuff did not work for me. I thought I'd try something different but I definitely didn't like it. I'm going back to Taylor of Old Bond Street.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Regarding shave soap, I bought a tub of Jack Black shaving cream. Man that stuff did not work for me. I thought I'd try something different but I definitely didn't like it. I'm going back to Taylor of Old Bond Street.
    If you like TOBS, you can try GF Trumper or Truefitt & Hill. They're all made by Creightons and act the same.

If you want a cream that will work better, I've got some suggestions, but Jack Black is definitely not one of them.

Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1432 Post(s)
    Yeah, I went with the JB product as I was in a pinch for shaving cream and decided to give it a try. Kind of waste of money. Lesson learned.

Thanks for the suggestion of Truefitt & Hill or GF Trumper. I'll have to keep an eye out for them.