Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Safety Razor Appreciation

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)
    Ha! I just finished buying 100 Astra Superior Platinum blades and then noticed this thread. I am nearing the end of a sampler pack I bought at the beginning of the year. It was fun to try quite a few different brands but I'm settling on Astras for now as they are great all around for me.

Has anyone experimented with different shaped bowls? The one I'm currently using is okay but I wonder if something else might be better for lathering quicker.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Switched in 2013 as well due to cost factors. Still using the same setup from back then.

Merkur 34c razor
    Feather blades (got 100 blades back then and still using them)
    Taylor of old Bond st. (currently using Eton college and the lime one)

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1360 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amesbury View Post
    Ha! I just finished buying 100 Astra Superior Platinum blades and then noticed this thread. I am nearing the end of a sampler pack I bought at the beginning of the year. It was fun to try quite a few different brands but I'm settling on Astras for now as they are great all around for me.

Has anyone experimented with different shaped bowls? The one I'm currently using is okay but I wonder if something else might be better for lathering quicker.
    I am using a bowl I bought from Goodwill for $2. The bowl bows out at the top, kinda like this (if I can do the ASCII art)

\ /
    \ /
    --

It is an OK bowl, but the suds overflow from the top. I have been using the bowl for several years now and I keep telling myself I am going to pick up a more vertical bowl (again, if I can do the ASCII art)

| |
    | |
    | |
    ------

But obviously wider...Anyway, I have yet to pick up the bowl I want. Maybe one of these days. I just need to get my butt back in to Goodwill to see what I can find.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I have a couple of Etsy shaving bowls, but I find that my salsa bowl from Walmart (under $2) performs better. I roughed up the inside of the salsa bowl to help the lather building process.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1056 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
    People frequently seem to use "safety razor" to mean "double edge razor" but the 2 are not the same thing. Safety razor is a broad classification of razors that includes not only double edges but cartridges, single edges, etc as well -- basically just about anything that isn't a straight.

Not sure how useful these lists are but why not...
    Razor: Feather AS-D2
    Blade: Feather
    Brush: Morris & Forndran 28mm x 57mm Blonde Badger
    Soap: Martin de Candre
    Aftershave: DR Harris Sandalwood

Tips & tricks? Don't underestimate the benefit of prep. Use a hot towel. Learn the direction of the grain of your beard. Don't be afraid to try stuff to sort out what works best for you and what you like. I went through a number of DE's, brushes, blades & soaps to settle on these though I certainly didn't try everything out there. That said, don't obsess over the equipment & supplies and get your skills down.
    You are right aboutbthebsafety razor being a larger category... But hissbtatemnt was correct. He is using a DE razor, which is a safety razor. So I am not sure what your statement was meant to do there.

Tips... Prep is good but knowing your facial hair mapping is the biggest single key. I have sensitive skin and coarse hair and barely prep. I have even done a cold shave in desperate times. Knowing your growth direction is key.

As for bowls, I use a heap one I found at target that has some dimples in it and is plastic. Slippery fingers, groggy me, and breakable ceramic is a bad combo. I have face lathered and hand lathered before too. Bowls are another area that is very over thought I think.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    I am using a bowl I bought from Goodwill for $2. The bowl bows out at the top, kinda like this (if I can do the ASCII art)

\ /
    \ /
    --

It is an OK bowl, but the suds overflow from the top. I have been using the bowl for several years now and I keep telling myself I am going to pick up a more vertical bowl (again, if I can do the ASCII art)

| |
    | |
    | |
    ------

But obviously wider...Anyway, I have yet to pick up the bowl I want. Maybe one of these days. I just need to get my butt back in to Goodwill to see what I can find.
    The first bowl I ever tried was a stainless steel cat/dog food dish that was in my cupboard. It was too shallow so overflow was a constant problem. What I am using now is a ceramic bowl (again found in my cupboard) that is about 3" deep with a straight wall cross-section that is slightly angled outward. No overflow problems. I don't mind it but I wish there was some texture on the bottom to possibly increase lathering efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by cwick25 View Post
    I have a couple of Etsy shaving bowls, but I find that my salsa bowl from Walmart (under $2) performs better. I roughed up the inside of the salsa bowl to help the lather building process.
    Cool. What kind of material is your bowl made from that allowed you to be able to rough it up?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    As for bowls, I use a heap one I found at target that has some dimples in it and is plastic. Slippery fingers, groggy me, and breakable ceramic is a bad combo.
    Something like this sounds perfect. I think I will look for one like this.

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1360 Post(s)
    The first bowl I ever tried was a stainless steel cat/dog food dish that was in my cupboard. It was too shallow so overflow was a constant problem. What I am using now is a ceramic bowl (again found in my cupboard) that is about 3" deep with a straight wall cross-section that is slightly angled outward. No overflow problems. I don't mind it but I wish there was some texture on the bottom to possibly increase lathering efficiency.
    I think this my my problem. The dish isn't deep enough so overflow is always happening. I'll have to get my bacon down to the Goodwill and see if I can find a 3" deep straight walled bowl that you speak of. That will hopefully fix my problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Cool. What kind of material is your bowl made from that allowed you to be able to rough it up?
    The bowl seems to be made of plastic just like the salsa bowls you see at most Mexican restaurants. I just used a long file to score some ridges in the bowl.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    162 Post(s)
    Reviving an old thread after reading Leanderthal's favorite things post. I've decide to give a safety/double edge razor a try. Can anyone tell me if this set would be a good place to start?

https://www.westcoastshaving.com/saf...r-set-byo.html

I'm thinking of going with the closed comb head, shaving cream sample pack and DE blade choice sampler pack. $50 for a handle, brush, bowl, sample blades and sample of creams and soaps. Is that a good deal or would you recommend piecing together the items separately. I'm completely new to this so any advice would be greatly appreciated.