Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Safety Razor Appreciation

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    257 Post(s)
    I've been using a safety razor for about 3 years now. I had a full beard for about 30 years before that but accidentally went too far trimming a side and the only fix was to take most of it off ( I left a chin beard). The wife really likes it and now it has to stay that way.

Razor: Feather twist to open
    Blade: Feather or Personna, got a 100 pack of the Personnas for $11 on Amazon
    Soap: Crema coconut mango cream
    Aftershave: alum block and sometimes Nivea sensitive skin aftershave balm

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by winghus View Post
    I've been using a safety razor for about 3 years now. I had a full beard for about 30 years before that but accidentally went too far trimming a side and the only fix was to take most of it off ( I left a chin beard). The wife really likes it and now it has to stay that way.

Razor: Feather twist to open
    Blade: Feather or Personna, got a 100 pack of the Personnas for $11 on Amazon
    Soap: Crema coconut mango cream
    Aftershave: alum block and sometimes Nivea sensitive skin aftershave balm
    I have an alum block but pretty much just use it for grip now. If your hands are damp and your razor feels a bit slippery you can just rub your fingers on the alum and get a grip again.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    483 Post(s)
    So what roughly is the entry cost for this method? The large number of variables and the amount of different items you all mentioned is what has always caused me concern with going to the safety razor method. I reluctantly still use cartridge razors but it's never as smooth of a shave as I'd like. Electrics are never an option. It feels my face is chewed up and hairs remain.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    So what roughly is the entry cost for this method? The large number of variables and the amount of different items you all mentioned is what has always caused me concern with going to the safety razor method. I reluctantly still use cartridge razors but it's never as smooth of a shave as I'd like. Electrics are never an option. It feels my face is chewed up and hairs remain.
    You can get a safety razor for as little as $20.00. A badger brush can be had for about $20.00 as well. Soap and blades might run you another $40.00. So to get started, you are looking at $80.00, perhaps. Of course, that's all dependent upon what you choose. I choose a slightly more expensive razor and brush. Check out www.westcoastshaving.com. I think someone else posted another link as well. Once you buy a razor and a brush, you will only need to repurchase blades and soap from time to time. I buy 100 blades at a time and replace them every year or year and half. Soap usually last me about 6 - 9 months. Compared to those cartridges, replacement costs are significantly lower and justifies the entry cost, in my opinion.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    I got going with a vintage Gillette Tech razor for $10 that inclused a pack of 5 Astra blades, a Wilkinson Sword boar bristle brush for $5 from Walmart, a tube of Nivea Men shaving cream for $4 from a drug store, and a bowl from my cupboard for free.

Since then, I've picked-up a sampler pack of twenty-some blades from Amazon for $10 and I've changed to Proraso shaving soap which can be had at many drug stores for less than $10.

My point is, I suggest treading lightly to see if wet shaving is for you and then spend more dough on more and better paraphernalia once you're committed.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)
    +1 to what @Amesbury said

There are some pretty decent sets you can buy for about $60 or you can piece together something for cheaper. I wouldn't go all in right at first. You do need to shave slower and take more time to prep your face before you start in order to get a good shave. Maybe it's not for you.

Things I would stay away from right at first are:
    open comb safety razors - they are more aggressive so you'll be more likely to cut yourself
    feather blades -they are really really sharp sooooo you'll be more likely to cut yourself

Things I would get if I was starting right now:
    good glycerin based soap (though to be fair you can use hair conditioner and get a decent shave, you need something slippery)
    a sample pack of razor blades to test out what works with your beard and face
    an inexpensive brush

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    I still have a few other DEs as well, but my Merkur 34C HD is the only one that I really use at this point.

Personna medical prep blades are great.

I've used a variety of shaving creams since I got into wet shaving years ago, but frankly Gillette Series Sensitive foam works just as well, if not better, for me.

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2074 Post(s)
    Resurrecting a random old shaving thread to post that there is a company which is now producing a razor in the style of the classic Schick Injector.

I don't know anything about the quality of this product in particular, and the handles seem wildly overpriced (though the blades are a pretty good deal compared to about $9 for 7 blades for the standard Schick ones), but I am pretty excited to at least see this style of razor back in production. I could never get a precise shave with a standard DE safety razor around the trickier areas like behind the jaw, the corners of the mouth, or right around the nostrils. The injector style razor handles much more precisely and more like a typical modern multi-blade razor but still provides some of the benefits of the single blade (less irritation and razor burn). I've tried DE safety razors, shavettes, and my vintage Schick Injector is the only "traditional" razor I ever really liked.
    Ben

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Re-resurrecting this because it's still on the first page and I like safety razors

I've only recently got back into it but I've put together a decent kit that seems to be working really well, and much better than the Mach3 that I was using prior.

Razor: Feather Popular
    Blades: Feather (I want to get a sample pack soon)
    Brush: Edwin Jagger Best Badger with tortoiseshell handle
    Shave Cream: Proraso Shea Butter and Sandlewood
    Bowl: Suribachi from Daiso (Australia)

I still need an aftershave and might try out the matching Proraso one, for no particular reason, or something from Taylor of Old Bond Street and a stand for the brush and/or razor.

I've been shaving every other day with this setup versus the once a week or so with the Mach3 which would give me razor burn and dry flaking skin every damn time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by winghus View Post
    I've been using a safety razor for about 3 years now.
    People frequently seem to use "safety razor" to mean "double edge razor" but the 2 are not the same thing. Safety razor is a broad classification of razors that includes not only double edges but cartridges, single edges, etc as well -- basically just about anything that isn't a straight.

Quote Originally Posted by bassoonguy View Post
    I thought it would be fun to start a thread about wet shaving and the setups we use. Any tips/tricks for a better shave? Does anyone like a particular soap or cream?
    Not sure how useful these lists are but why not...
    Razor: Feather AS-D2
    Blade: Feather
    Brush: Morris & Forndran 28mm x 57mm Blonde Badger
    Soap: Martin de Candre
    Aftershave: DR Harris Sandalwood

Tips & tricks? Don't underestimate the benefit of prep. Use a hot towel. Learn the direction of the grain of your beard. Don't be afraid to try stuff to sort out what works best for you and what you like. I went through a number of DE's, brushes, blades & soaps to settle on these though I certainly didn't try everything out there. That said, don't obsess over the equipment & supplies and get your skills down.
    Last edited by takeshi; July 4th, 2017 at 10:14 PM.