Thread: Bensol Blazers

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)

Bensol Blazers

Once again, Joe is singing the praises of the Bensol blazer sold at Nordstrom: https://dappered.com/2017/02/nordstr...picks-for-men/

It's a dead simple looking blazer that looks like it does a lot right in pictures (patch pockets, medium lapels, not a chopped tail, etc.) But I have heard utterly nothing about this brand. Has anyone tried it? I see two people have from previous posts, but haven't said a ton.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Mine just arrived. Its as you said, but really quit trim.. slimmer in the chest than a JCrew Ludlow.

The Ludlow 40 tend to fit me quite well; the Bensol 40 was much tighter, leading to a big 'X' and weird collar issues.. it's on its back...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

RE: Benzol Blazers

I purchased the Benzol blazer in charcoal (size 40) during Nordstrom's 2016 Black Friday sale. I've only tried it on to make sure that I liked it and it fit well. To this point, I really like the blazer. The fabric feels good. It fits very well without tailoring, just slightly trimmer than my Spier and Mackay suit jackets (size 40L). The blazer's buttons appear to be good quality. I really like the minimal lining and relative light weight of the blazer. It should breathe well in warmer temperatures. Seems to be a good value for the price when on sale.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    I picked one up a few months ago (very) gently used off of Postmark of all places. I love it. Personally, i think it fits just a tidge slimmer in the arms than my comparable Spier & Mackay sportcoat. I found it to be roomier than the J Crew patch pocket cotton blazer in the same size. All of these were in a 40R, for what its worth.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cwick25 View Post
    I purchased the Benzol blazer in charcoal (size 40) during Nordstrom's 2016 Black Friday sale. I've only tried it on to make sure that I liked it and it fit well. To this point, I really like the blazer. The fabric feels good. It fits very well without tailoring, just slightly trimmer than my Spier and Mackay suit jackets (size 40L). The blazer's buttons appear to be good quality. I really like the minimal lining and relative light weight of the blazer. It should breathe well in warmer temperatures. Seems to be a good value for the price when on sale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.C View Post
    I picked one up a few months ago (very) gently used off of Postmark of all places. I love it. Personally, i think it fits just a tidge slimmer in the arms than my comparable Spier & Mackay sportcoat. I found it to be roomier than the J Crew patch pocket cotton blazer in the same size. All of these were in a 40R, for what its worth.
    Interesting. Can either of you describe how tapered the waist is off the rack?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lax101 View Post
    I didn't need to have mine tailored at all. I'm 5'10" 175 with a broadish chest and slightly sloped shoulders. I'm relatively trim, but could probably lose and inch or so around my midsection. I'd say the jacket is nicely tapered. If you'd like I can take measurements tonight. If you've ever tried on Spier and Mackay contemporary fit, it is quite similar in my opinion.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    241 Post(s)
    You guys who have one, can you tell me what the lining is made out of?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lax101 View Post
    To my eyes, my Benzol blazer does not look quite as tapered in the waist as my contemporary fit Spier & Mackay suit jackets. There isn't much of a difference between the two, but I think the S&M jacket looks a bit more tailored at the waist because it has more lining and structure in the shoulder area. I think the Nordstrom website pics of the blazer worn by the model are similar to how it looks on me regarding the tapering at the waist. (For reference, I'm 6'1" 185 and I'd say my body type is similar to Alex C.) I'll defer to Alex C. for measurements.

Quote Originally Posted by CJMichaelRay View Post
    You guys who have one, can you tell me what the lining is made out of?
    Going off memory, I think the tag says, 56% AC (acetate?)/44% VI (viscose?) I can confirm later this evening.

Confirmed
    Last edited by cwick25; March 1st, 2017 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Confirm lining composition

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    I am just getting into dressing better and stumbled upon this post. I hadn't planned to buy another blazer but looks like a great deal. I assume this is not necessarily a casual blazer and could be used with chinos or dress pants correct? Anything you would not wear it with other than super formal attire / events?

I assume that with dress pants and a button up this would work out well. Just want to make sure i am not off track as i get used to all these rules and looks LOL. Its overwhelming for a rookie!
    Last edited by neminat; March 1st, 2017 at 04:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neminat View Post
    I am just getting into dressing better and stumbled upon this post. I hadn't planned to buy another blazer but looks like a great deal. I assume this is not necessarily a casual blazer and could be used with chinos or dress pants correct? Anything you would not wear it with other than super formal attire / events?

I assume that with dress pants and a button up this would work out well. Just want to make sure i am not off track as i get used to all these rules and looks LOL. Its overwhelming for a rookie!
    I plan on wearing my blazer with chinos and dress pants. I think it would look ok with a nice pair of jeans too, but I doubt I'll wear that combination. I'd say the blazer is versatile enough to wear in nearly all settings, except formal and super casual.