Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many ties is too many ties if you never wear ties

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)
    I feel Ties remain in your collection whether you wear or not. So why not keep adding
    Eat what is good for your health but
    Wear what is good for your and others eyes

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    300 Post(s)
    It's so hard to get rid of clothes.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)
    Found eight that I could leave behind. Off to ebay!

http://www.styleforum.net/image/id/1...t/900/flags/LL

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quoted
    790 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonATL View Post
    Found eight that I could leave behind. Off to ebay!

http://www.styleforum.net/image/id/1...t/900/flags/LL
    That Egyptian print is awesome, but hard to say when I'd actually wear it or what with.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quoted
    657 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    Gotcha. Well I'd start wearing them more. In my opinion not enough people wear ties and complain about them being uncomfortable. I love them. I also love how yours are organized by color.
    I think most people that complain about them being uncomfortable suffer from 2 problems. First, the shirt is actually the problem and they have the wrong neck size. Second, they dont know different knots. I really only do 4-in-hand and half windsor but it makes a difference in how the tie feels for me, depending on the tie.

as for the OP...I have several ties and never wear them anymore. I used to wear them to work but now I work from home. I am keeping them though because I like a selection on those rare occasions. I also thrifted a lot of mine.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    66 Post(s)
    I wear ties only a few times a year and yet I also have a small collection.
    Unless they're taking up precious space, I don't see a reason purge.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    That Egyptian print is awesome, but hard to say when I'd actually wear it or what with.
    Yeah, that's my problem. But when the opportunity arises to buy a crazy unworn T&A for very little money, you don't pass it up.

Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Quoted
    707 Post(s)
    i wear a tie four days a week. Thank you casual Fridays. I have approximately 20 ties in collection, of which 10 get worn regularly. I probably could upgrade my tie collection but it is really low on my priority list. Unlike, say picking up new shoes or boots. Because you can never have too many pairs of footwear.

If the OP never wears a tie, I'd say one tie out to do it. Just enough to cover the odd wedding/funeral/whatever comes in to your life.

And if that is your collection in the photo, I am impressed. That is quite the collection of ties. I can only aspire to be have such variety.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    422 Post(s)
    hot ebay downsizing ties selling tip:

if you buy a bunch of small 4"x4"x4" cardboard boxes, you can ship one tie (or even two!)first class mail for maybe a buck or two max. drop them right in a mail box, no need to go to the post office.

usually however, i don't get a lot for ties. The best of them I can sometimes sell for $20 on ebay but even relatively recent model ties sell for maybe 10% of what they were new. Seems like in these very casual times very few people want ties.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    187 Post(s)
    Considering that I walked into Sak's Off 5th last Monday and bought 2 wool Kiton ties for $26 USD each, it would be hard for me to pay a lot for a tie. The exceptions I make are buying from people like Paul Winston at Chipp and David at Sam Hober. They both participate in the communities at menswear sites I frequent and are great guys.

Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    hot ebay downsizing ties selling tip:

if you buy a bunch of small 4"x4"x4" cardboard boxes, you can ship one tie (or even two!)first class mail for maybe a buck or two max. drop them right in a mail box, no need to go to the post office.

usually however, i don't get a lot for ties. The best of them I can sometimes sell for $20 on ebay but even relatively recent model ties sell for maybe 10% of what they were new. Seems like in these very casual times very few people want ties.