78 Post(s)

How many ties is too many ties if you never wear ties

I might need to adjust my tie holdings a bit:

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    314 Post(s)
    If never is actually never, then anything more than 1 is too much.

If never means once every 3-6 months, anything more than 3-4 is too much.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    257 Post(s)
    I'd say 3 ties for handling funerals, interviews and weddings/special events would be a rough estimate. I've got around 35-40 but wear one everyday. Why would you invest in so many and then not wear them?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    I'd say 3 ties for handling funerals, interviews and weddings/special events would be a rough estimate. I've got around 35-40 but wear one everyday. Why would you invest in so many and then not wear them?
    #thrift

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    257 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonATL View Post
    #thrift
    Gotcha. Well I'd start wearing them more. In my opinion not enough people wear ties and complain about them being uncomfortable. I love them. I also love how yours are organized by color.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    Like the others are saying, if you literally never wear them or if you only wear them once or twice a year I would think buying more than 3-4 ties is maybe just wasting money and closet space. On the other hand if you really like having options for that one or two times a year you do need a tie I could see justifying having a dozen or so option...maybe a few linen or chambray options for spring/summer weddings, a couple conservative silk ties for interviews/funerals, maybe a few wool or patterned silk options fall/winter weddings or events.....

I only need a tie maybe once a month and probably own about 15 ties and feel like that is nearing excessive....although I do enjoy having the options.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Quoted
    743 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonATL View Post
    I might need to adjust my tie holdings a bit:
    Deets on that gray glen plaid I see sticking out? I may be able to help you thin the herd. My Burberry glen plaid is just not doing it for me.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    456 Post(s)
    yeah i've got a couple hundred great thrift ties, and they're super wonderful! In reality they just rarely get used. i'm lucky if I can use any of them more than twice a week these days.

In case someone is curious, they're all like at least late 1990's or 2000's brooks brothers ties or better. The majority are repp or small patterns. There are lot of J Press and Andover Shop ties, and a 20 or so current J Crew Repp stripe ties.

There are maybe 20 or so that are all Harvard patterned, 20 that are from the Harvard COOP, 20 that are Madras Plaid, and maybe another 20 that are especially casual like knit ties.

Mostly it's just a big trad tie collection. I don't know why they fascinate me so much, but they do. Thirft ties are usually a dollar so it never hurts to grab one i guess.

I've been trying to pare down the 200+ to something more like 20 amazing ones, but it's been a long and hard process.
    Last edited by evanparker; February 16th, 2017 at 11:41 AM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    Yeah if never really does mean never then I would probably get rid of some. Personally I wear ties about 3-4 times a week and own about 25ish ties and sometimes that feels like too many.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    834 Post(s)
    I wear ties a good bit for work, but it used to be 4x a week, now it's maybe 2x a week (some weeks more, if it's a client-meeting-heavy week). Late last year, I realized that I frankly didn't wear more than 50% of my tie collection at all (right around when I bought a few more Chipps that I wear a ton). So I did a purge of the never-worn, then revisited again after a few months and got rid of a few others that I realized had become the 'never worn' post-purge (right around when I bought a few new Drake's). I'd consider myself someone who wears ties on a somewhat regular basis relative to the general population, and I think my current collection is about 20 ties mostly consisting of Chipps and Drakes and a couple SuitSupply and Ferragamo. Right now I'm holding to a loose 1-in, 1-out pattern, and it's very freeing to have a limited selection, but one of ties that I really like and enjoy wearing, but without too much overlap in colors or patterns. I guess I also hang two more traditional Brooks Bros at the office as an emergency stash, but haven't actually used them in years.