Thread: Anyone know the welt on those Barney boots?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)

Anyone know the welt on those Barney boots?

I was mainly thinking about that suede desert boot. Looks nice from my POV, and it says it has a stitched welt, but since it's from Italy, I don't know whether it's a hand stitched, a Blake, or a Goodyear.

Does anyone have any insight?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    224 Post(s)
    I have a pair of Barney's Warehouse oxfords, and they seem blake stitched. The sole is slimmer than the boot, obviously. I would still bet that they're blake stitch though.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    158 Post(s)
    Which boots?

Edit: I figured that sometimes people are referring to items on the main Dappered site, so I checked there. I'll assume the question is about these:

http://www.barneyswarehouse.com/prod...y5rufy2qRHGnRA

First, I highly doubt that they would be "hand welted" for that price (meaning the original price of $265, even though Meermin claims to offer hand welted shoes for $290, but they are not made in Italy).

Next, if they are using the correct terminology they would not be Blake stitched, since Blake is not "welted" (as there is no welt involved), although Blake stitching is a very common method for Italian made shoes.

If you look at the 3rd photo in zoom you can make out the point where the two ends of a welt appear to meet, which might imply Goodyear welting.

However they don't mention GYW, so I suspect it's none of the above. I have a pair of Cole Haan boots that appear to be GYW and have what clearly appears to be a welt just like the above chukka, however after years of use the sole at the front has begun to separate from this "welt", clearing demonstrating that they are not sewn through but simply glued. That may be the case here. Buyer beware.
    Last edited by Spex; February 17th, 2017 at 06:38 AM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    Thanks to both! Weird since they clearly say in the details that it is welted (I believe). Just wish there was more clarification. Sent an email, but got no response back.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk