Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wedding Suit Advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Wedding Suit Advice

Hey everyone, wanted to get some help on deciding on outfits for a wedding party. Going to be getting this May, and since it will be an outdoor ceremony in the spring, wanted to go for light gray suits. I am planning on getting mine from suit supply, one of the ones below. Was planning on heading down to one of the retail stores to check them out shortly.

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits...D&prefv2=Linen
    http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits...ID&prefv1=Grey
    http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits...ID&prefv1=Grey

My real question is for groomsmen. We'd like them all the be in the same suit but they are not all in a place in their life where they can drop 500 bucks for a new suit for a wedding. What do you guys think are the best options for a similar color/cut in the under $200 price range? Was looking at JaB and Macy's and found these but open to suggestions. Thoughts?

http://www.josbank.com/classic-colle...r=Light%20Grey

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/p...TYLE%3D2-Piece Suits%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D55%26ruleId%3D78|BS|BA%26sl otId%3D46

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMS575 View Post
    We'd like them all the be in the same suit
    Grown men, dressed up alike like little boys in school.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    254 Post(s)
    do you know if they have their own suits to wear? Personally and I think the responses you see most here in other similar threads will recommend for you to set a dress code rather than having to ask groomsmen to buy sub par suits to fit a tight budget.

The Macy's one is all acrylic fibers and if outdoors in any sort of temp your guys will melt. I'd def recommend wool suits as best as you can. Will be hard at that price point.

If you are set on this I'd recommend checking the BB 346 outlets. They usually have a light gray in the Fitzgerald cut and with their usual 2 for 1 sales are around 200-250ish. You'd just need them to buy together. The benefit is they do suit separates to cut down on the tailoring.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    149 Post(s)
    If you are dead set on having everyone dress alike, specially if your groomsmen are not in a possition to spend a lot, you have to find the most economic alternative. It may be an honor to get asked to be in a friends wedding, but it should not be a burden on them. Try Combat Gent.
    You can never have enough shoes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    First, congrats on the big day. Wish you all the best. Regarding the groomsmen's suits, what about renting them? I believe some of the suit stores offer rental of suits in addition to tuxes, so from a cost savings perspective, that might make the most sense. As for purchasing suits, the issue they will run into is alteration costs. You can minimize those somewhat by going with suit separates but even then there will likely be nips and tucks needed. Oliver Wicks (formerly Dragon Inside) sells ready to wear grey suits for $400, but they will sometimes sell it for $300 on a promotion, and that's the delivered price. Plus you get $50 of reimbursed alterations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Thanks for the ideas. Will look into them. Have heard good things about CG but never bought a suit from them. Any idea of about how long they take to ship?

I like the idea of everyone in their own suit however the other half is dead set against the idea, so matching suits it is.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    149 Post(s)
    I've never bought from GG, but they do have a whole wedding section.
    You can never have enough shoes

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Combatant Gentleman is your answer by one of there cheap tuxedos(they all can be dress the same without looking gettho) , find a tailor and all will be looking like a million bucks. Tuxedos something hardly the average men wears, I will say once in a lifetime event for the most, unless you a president of a nation than invest.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    254 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chiconice View Post
    Combatant Gentleman is your answer by one of there cheap tuxedos(they all can be dress the same without looking gettho) , find a tailor and all will be looking like a million bucks. Tuxedos something hardly the average men wears, I will say once in a lifetime event for the most, unless you a president of a nation than invest.
    He wants light gray suits not tuxes.

Although they do have a gray two piece suit: https://combatgent.com/weddings/suit...two-piece-suit

Acrylic lining though so you have to worry about the sweat factor ... says 140 wool? hmm. I don't know enough about them to recommend for or against. Seems you need to order 4 months out though and you only get it 1 month before the big day. That would give me a lot of concern. There is not a lot of margin for error there.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    423 Post(s)
    A $200 suit is not a $200 suit once you buy the matching tie, shirt, and shoes. If your groomsmen can't afford to drop $500 on a suit, the only viable solution for matching suits is to rent. Don't make them spend $300-$400 to buy cheap suits that they'll never wear again.

Alternatively, don't make them all dress in the same suit. Let them wear the suits they own and deal with the fact that they don't all match. This is a far more considerate option for the groomsmen who can't afford to drop a lot of money on a new suit. Matching suits for the wedding are kind of tacky anyway.

Light gray suits are a particularly poor choice to force on your groomsmen. This is a suit color that isn't appropriate for interviews or funerals or even formal weddings. This is a suit that may literally never be worn again.
    Last edited by dpark; February 11th, 2017 at 10:45 PM.