Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rule #2 for the first time suit buyer

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)
    The OP's way of posting is a bit unusual. Normally threads are started by people asking for advice not giving it. It makes it seem as if he thinks he knows better than the community.

That said, his advice isn't that good. Rules number 1 and 2 overlap, but he seems to be ignoring the wisdom of this forum.

Central to this forum and the blog is with knowledge of sales, and mainly online shopping, one can save a bunch of money.

Shopping at the mall could mean buying Hugo Boss for 600 or something at Kohl's for $200. At both budget points you can get something much better.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    330 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tml View Post
    Okay, so after figuring out that you don't have to spend a lot to get a nice first suit (go to Jos. A Bank, Macy's, Dillards, JC Penneys, whatever mall store you'd like), the next step is to decide on the color. Joe wrote about this recently and suggested charcoal, and then go with a navy blue. I'd agree with that. Both colors are versatile. But after those two, I think one should go with a light grey, then a thin pinstripe in charcoal and thin pinstripe in blue. When I say pinstripe, not the 1920s gangster chalk stripes. Thin, as in faint. You now have 5 great suit colors for each day of the week. After that, plaids, tans, seersucker, is all fine.
    Is there a question somewhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by erock View Post
    I do believe in this case there is a need to be, as you put it, an ass. This guy comes on the board and his first post is a "rule", that "rule" is also wrong in my opinion and not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spex View Post
    I'm not a fan of pinstripes of any kind, but to each his own. After getting a basic navy and grey all season suit i would personally get a blue and a grey flannel suit for cooler weather, but of course, this depends on your environment.

I'll disagree with the fact about getting a mall-brand suit. I find many of them are cut poorly. As someone suggested in the previous thread, just have some patience and buy a suit from a higher end store at the end of the season and get a great price on a better made, and (in my experience) better fitting suit. I find cheaper brands have worse looking shoulders, lower armholes and in some cases nowadays, a length that is too short.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    285 Post(s)
    While I have my share of opinions that differ from the majority of the board, I've never asserted that my preferences be called "rules." In fact, most of time, my opinions run the lines of "there are no 'rules,' only good suggestions." That said, I'm going to stick to Billy Dee's 2 rules:

Rule #1: never run out of Colt 45
    Rule #2: never forget rule #1

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    Are you saying that a guy buying his first suits shouldn't consider buying one from the mall?
    That really depends, what is their budget, how soon do they need the suit, what will it be used for, will this be their only suit, how often will they wear it, how old are they, do they enjoy researching and bargain shopping or do they want to walk into a store get what they need and be done? In certain situations going to the mall might be a great idea, in many situations there are better options. I don't believe there is a one size fits all rule for this.

So if you have only 2 business attire suits, what about the other days of the week? My point was that you'd need at least 5 work wear suits.
    In most industries a flannel suit will work fine as a business suit. Actually in most industries wearing a suit daily (if not ever) is not required. So why is your rule for all new suit buyers based on a scenario that is not the norm for most professions?

I guess I don't see my opinion that a new suit buyer should give fair consideration of mall suits to be very different from the Dappered community. Seems like there is lots of interest in JC Penney boots, J Crew Factory suits, etc.
    I don't think this is a fair comparison. The general consensus on this forum seems to be JCP boots are a great deal when on sale, and if youre on a tight budget or want to try owning some dress boots without spending much they are a good option. The consensus is not "the rule is boot buyers should go to the mall and spend between $40 and $60". There is a big difference between those two lines of thinking. Same with the JCF suits, I think most agree they are a nice option at a certain price point, but that's certainly not to say they are for everyone or even most people.

I think at this point I've more than made my opinion known so I'll leave your rule #1 & #2 threads alone. However in the future I think you might get better responses to your threads by presenting them as suggestions for guys in certain situations rather than
    trying to proclaim rules for the whole suit buying community.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    So if you have only 2 business attire suits, what about the other days of the week? My point was that you'd need at least 5 work wear suits.
    When I used to wear a suit to work every day I rotated one navy and one dark grey suit. Most guys I see who wear a suit to work regularly are wearing a plain navy suit. I'll bet most of them don't have more than 1 or 2 suits. I would suggest buying 2 decent quality suits instead of 5 cheaper suits.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    285 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Me27 View Post
    Same with the JCF suits, I think most agree they are a nice option at a certain price point, but that's certainly not to say they are for everyone or even most people.
    I agree with you on everything, and this is just to piggy back on your point. I have both JCF and CG suits. CG offers a made to order program at a price point of $240, which is a little lower than JCF and it's a better suit. At the price for most JCF suits, a shopper can get a much nicer Spier and Mackay suit. Again, I know that's part of your point.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    I agree with the other posters who have said that these aren't really "rules," but at best "guidelines." Also, there was a long thread very recently on the first suit color. For what it's worth, I agree with you and Joe that a first suit should normally be charcoal, but many other posters suggested going for navy first. I also think that most people do not need both charcoal and navy before they get something in a more casual color. If you do work in an industry where you have to wear suits every day, then, yes, both charcoal and navy probably are necessities. But, otherwise, you can wear whichever of charcoal and navy you decide on for work/interviews/funerals [the latter being why charcoal is preferable to navy - possibly interviews too] and then get a mid- or light-grey suit for weddings and other less formal occasions. (That's assuming you decide just to get two suits).

I think two pinstriped suits in a five-suit collection is a bit much. If I were getting a five-suit collection from scratch, I'd probably get these five (bear in mind, I'm not a fan of navy):
    - dark grey/charcoal, worsted wool, solid
    - mid-grey, worsted wool, solid
    - light grey, perhaps a summer weight wool, solid
    - navy, worsted wool, pinstripe
    - mid or dark blue (but not as dark as navy), worsted wool, solid

But that's assuming I'd be planning on wearing a suit to work each day. Otherwise, I'd probably get a summer suit in a shade of brown within the first five, and so have two grey suits (one charcoal, one mid- or light grey, depending on taste), two blue suits (one navy, one mid- or dark blue, depending on taste), and one mid- or light-brown (e.g. khaki/tan/even beige) for summer weddings and other outdoor events. The brown one would be either cotton or linen or a blend (wool/silk/linen, say).

Okay, so after figuring out that you don't have to spend a lot to get a nice first suit (go to Jos. A Bank, Macy's, Dillards, JC Penneys, whatever mall store you'd like), the next step is to decide on the color. Joe wrote about this recently and suggested charcoal, and then go with a navy blue. I'd agree with that. Both colors are versatile. But after those two, I think one should go with a light grey, then a thin pinstripe in charcoal and thin pinstripe in blue. When I say pinstripe, not the 1920s gangster chalk stripes. Thin, as in faint. You now have 5 great suit colors for each day of the week. After that, plaids, tans, seersucker, is all fine.

Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1431 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spex View Post
    When I used to wear a suit to work every day I rotated one navy and one dark grey suit. Most guys I see who wear a suit to work regularly are wearing a plain navy suit. I'll bet most of them don't have more than 1 or 2 suits. I would suggest buying 2 decent quality suits instead of 5 cheaper suits.
    I started out like this. Owned two suits because I couldn't afford anything else and just rotated them. Didn't make for a very interested wardrobe, but then again I knew (and cared) very little about style. Now though, I'm probably pushing seven or eight suits for a weeks worth of wearing.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    502 Post(s)
    looks like our old friend Duvel is back.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    I agree, but I would prioritize a Navy suit over a charcoal. I find a dark blue suit more versatile