Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rule #2 for the first time suit buyer

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tml View Post
    I guess I was coming from a business - corporate environment where something like cotton or linen might look a little out of place.
    I also come from a corporate business environment, but I attended a lot of weddings, social events, outdoor functions, ect and find a more casual suit very useful.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    197 Post(s)
    Also, when the opinion you're offering differs significantly from the prevailing community opinion, you're gonna get flak unless you back it up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Are you saying that a guy buying his first suits shouldn't consider buying one from the mall?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    So if you have only 2 business attire suits, what about the other days of the week? My point was that you'd need at least 5 work wear suits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hierophant View Post
    Also, when the opinion you're offering differs significantly from the prevailing community opinion, you're gonna get flak unless you back it up.
    I guess I don't see my opinion that a new suit buyer should give fair consideration of mall suits to be very different from the Dappered community. Seems like there is lots of interest in JC Penney boots, J Crew Factory suits, etc.

Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1436 Post(s)
    My very (and I do mean VERY) first suit was a big and boxy double breasted suit that I bought from a department store here in Canada. I had no idea as to fit or style or anything that I ought to be looking for. I was making next to no money and I had to buy a suit to wear to work. So I took the advice of the salesman and bought what he told me to. In short I probably got taken advantage of by spending too much and getting too little in return.

Back then there was no internet, or at least no internet like we have it today. I would have been happy to have received some guidance around what to purchase and what not to purchase. This is, what I think, the purpose of this thread is. Designed to help out those folks who don't have a lot of money and are needing to a suit or two for their first job. I don't have to agree with everything that's being said or posted, but the background can definitely help first time buyers make more informed purchases.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tml View Post
    Okay, so after figuring out that you don't have to spend a lot to get a nice first suit (go to Jos. A Bank, Macy's, Dillards, JC Penneys, whatever mall store you'd like), the next step is to decide on the color. Joe wrote about this recently and suggested charcoal, and then go with a navy blue. I'd agree with that. Both colors are versatile. But after those two, I think one should go with a light grey, then a thin pinstripe in charcoal and thin pinstripe in blue. When I say pinstripe, not the 1920s gangster chalk stripes. Thin, as in faint. You now have 5 great suit colors for each day of the week. After that, plaids, tans, seersucker, is all fine.
    Rule #3 for the first time suit buyer - Ignore rules #1 and #2 from tml and seek Joe's advice here: https://dappered.com/2017/01/how-to-...ur-first-suit/

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by erock View Post
    Rule #3 for the first time suit buyer - Ignore rules #1 and #2 from tml and seek Joe's advice here: https://dappered.com/2017/01/how-to-...ur-first-suit/
    Yep. THIS. Always enjoy hearing other opinions. But not only do I find it a bit presumptuous to suggest that these are rules, but I also find the advice to be not particularly helpful if not just wrong.

I'll add that I find it a bit strange for someone completely new to the forum to immediately start in with two posts suggesting "Rules" for first time suit buyers. Lurk a little, read a lot, and get to know the community before making such pronouncements.
    Last edited by goodwillhinton; February 11th, 2017 at 08:54 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quoted
    381 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by erock View Post
    No need to be an ass, you can disagree in a polite way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    No need to be an ass, you can disagree in a polite way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I do believe in this case there is a need to be, as you put it, an ass. This guy comes on the board and his first post is a "rule", that "rule" is also wrong in my opinion and not helpful.