Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Undandy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    The video on the first page of the website shows a pair of shoes being blake-stitched.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spex View Post
    First, I don't know why they call themselves "Unhandy" when their products appear very dandyish. Next, I'm not a fan of most of those lasts...too chiseled (as mentioned by Me27). Lastly, they just don't look high quality, or at least not what I'd pay $200 for, even if I liked them. What type of customization would you be interested in?
    Largely would just like to find a shop where I know I can get exactly what I want and do so at low risk (i.e., free returns). Time to search traditional retailers is a bit ridiculous, even through aggregators. As a simple example, if you search for "derby" you miss every shoe some retailer calls an oxford even though its a derby. And then half of the time there is some detail about the shoe that is off.

Several on this thread have suggested there is better bang for buck out there. Are there other online retailers a-la Jack Erwin that you recommend?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    The video on the first page of the website shows a pair of shoes being blake-stitched.
    Thanks for pointing that out. As for leather quality they say "calf leather." Must admit I'm not educated enough to know whether that answers the question of where it sits on the full grain/top grain, etc spectrum.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    442 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    That does look like a blake stitch (though I'm no expert). What are they smearing on the shoe at ~47 seconds, though? Is that cement? If they're cemented, resoling would be iffy even if they're blake stitched on top of the cement. I still find it odd that they would blake stitch and then not say so (even if it's cement+blake).

As for the leather, their FAQ says "genuine calf leather", so probably a pretty low grade of leather.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpark View Post
    That does look like a blake stitch (though I'm no expert). What are they smearing on the shoe at ~47 seconds, though? Is that cement? If they're cemented, resoling would be iffy even if they're blake stitched on top of the cement. I still find it odd that they would blake stitch and then not say so (even if it's cement+blake).

As for the leather, their FAQ says "genuine calf leather", so probably a pretty low grade of leather.
    Yeah that seems odd that they would do blake stitching, then not specifically say so. That can be a pretty huge selling point and something you'd think they would want to brag about. Literally every other company that I know of that does blake stitching mentions in the description of their shoe. Anyway, if the leather is low grade you might not even want to resole when the time comes.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sdbrewgeek View Post
    Largely would just like to find a shop where I know I can get exactly what I want and do so at low risk (i.e., free returns). Time to search traditional retailers is a bit ridiculous, even through aggregators. As a simple example, if you search for "derby" you miss every shoe some retailer calls an oxford even though its a derby. And then half of the time there is some detail about the shoe that is off.

Several on this thread have suggested there is better bang for buck out there. Are there other online retailers a-la Jack Erwin that you recommend?
    The Allen Edmond's shoe bank is very popular on this forum. The downside with that is you have to call in your order over the phone and you're buying "seconds", the upside is that you are getting a pair of high quality US made shoes that would normally sell for around $400 for about half price and the imperfections that make the "seconds" are usually very minor and sometime almost impossible to find.
    https://www.shoebank.com/

Regular Allen Edmonds will sometime go on sale for around $250, and it is not uncommon for shoes in the clearance section to drop down to around $200 or less.
    http://www.allenedmonds.com/clearanc...sz=18&start=19

There has been some discussion about Beckett Simonon on hear lately, apparently when they first opened they had some issues, but have gotten better over time. They offer blake stitch construction and full grain leather for around $200
    https://www.beckettsimonon.com/colle...nt=27287873417

Charles Tyrwhitt has some nice shoes options in that price range too, most are blake stitched or Goodyear welted, but make sure and read the description because not all are full grain leather.
    http://www.ctshirts.com/us/clearance-mens-shoes/

Loake is a UK brand that can be a little tricky to get a hold of in the states, but they make some nice shoes in the price range were talking about.
    http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/loake

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Quoted
    808 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sdbrewgeek View Post
    Thanks. I've been following dappered for some time. Not sure this vendor was special per se, but my shopping habits have evolved quite a bit over the last year or so. I think Bonobos is something close to a perfect model - we have a guideshop so I can try sizes on and see quality of fabrics, etc but use the online portal for ordering. I've had good experiences with other online retailers (Jack Erwin, Suitsupply) and am just diving into this more. The problem is in some areas it seems like there isn't a good information resource to tap. For example, if you google online shoe retailers there isn't a central repository or list of what is available, particularly in the online-only retail world. Is Undandy the right choice? What others are even out there? Not sure, but I thought these forums might be a good place to get and share information. Seems almost odd to almost revert to "word of mouth" but it seems like a good community to tap for information.
    Cool. Hopefully you can find time to contribute in places other than this singular thread as you spend time here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    I'm bumping this to ask if anyone has actually tried any of the shoes from Undandy yet?

The ability to customize a pair of dress boots with different leather colors, suedes, and so forth sounds really fun. Especially at a $200 price point.

Has anyone given these a try?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

Undandy?

This reminds me of LeatherCult for jackets in a way. They had very vague descriptions of their products. Their web site sucked. But after taking a risk, they sadly offer no returns, I was pleasantly surprised. It’s now my go too place for a leather jacket. A hidden gem.

I would be curious to see if undandy is a dud or a similar surprise. Reviews?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk