Thread: C&J potentially discontinuing GMTOs

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    224 Post(s)

C&J potentially discontinuing GMTOs

Read over on Styleforum and Goodyear welt today that Crockett & Jones is potentially discontinuing group made-to-orders due to the volume of complaints that they've received post-delivery. Apparently people were complaining excessively over minor (and often times natural) variations in the shell cordovan leather and asking for discounts. It reminded me of Joe's article about the pursuit of perfection https://dappered.com/2014/03/why-pur...yle-is-stupid/. It seems like in this case, unrealistic expectations might lead to a worse outcome for all.
    Last edited by Token; January 24th, 2017 at 03:49 PM.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    242 Post(s)
    I'm shocked--absolutely SHOCKED I tell you--that members of GYW were obsessing over tiny minor stuff that most people wouldn't have any problem with (or notice), on GMTO purchases which are typically discounted already from "standard" runs.

Is....is the sarcasm evident?

As usual, a few idiots have to ruin it for the rest of us. Oh well.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    220 Post(s)
    Too. Many. Abbreviations...I have no idea what's being discussed.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    224 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by batkins9 View Post
    Too. Many. Abbreviations...I have no idea what's being discussed.
    Sorry bad habit of mine, I removed the abbreviations from the original post. Crockett & Jones offers a made-to-order service where you can basically design a shoe. You pick one of their existing models as the base, and you can customize various aspects of it such as the material, the sole, eyelets, etc. For a single order, there is a surcharge on top of the regular retail price, but you can avoid this surcharge by placing a large order for multiple shoes (in this case 12). Since it's rare that any one person would ever order submit an order for 12 pairs of shoes by themselves, 12 people can group up, agree on one specific customization, and submit the order as a group, avoiding the surcharge. It was/is used as a (cheaper) way to order shell cordovan shoes and boots in rare colors such as whiskey.

By potentially getting rid of their group made to order service, you would have to pay the surcharge for any customized shoes.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    surcharge is pretty significant, a couple hundred pounds, so this would be a shame to get rid of. Was hoping to get in on the brown shell Dundee GMTO. Would be pretty disappointed if they cancelled the GMTO option.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    220 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    Sorry bad habit of mine, I removed the abbreviations from the original post. Crockett & Jones offers a made-to-order service where you can basically design a shoe. You pick one of their existing models as the base, and you can customize various aspects of it such as the material, the sole, eyelets, etc. For a single order, there is a surcharge on top of the regular retail price, but you can avoid this surcharge by placing a large order for multiple shoes (in this case 12). Since it's rare that any one person would ever order submit an order for 12 pairs of shoes by themselves, 12 people can group up, agree on one specific customization, and submit the order as a group, avoiding the surcharge. It was/is used as a (cheaper) way to order shell cordovan shoes and boots in rare colors such as whiskey.

By potentially getting rid of their group made to order service, you would have to pay the surcharge for any customized shoes.
    That helps, thanks. Sounds like an interesting model. Don't know that I would be in their target demo though. I try to keep my shoe purchases to around $200 or less.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Quoted
    473 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by batkins9 View Post
    That helps, thanks. Sounds like an interesting model. Don't know that I would be in their target demo though. I try to keep my shoe purchases to around $200 or less.
    Yeah, same here. I only once paid more than $200 for a pair of shoes (AE Strands for my wedding). Until recently that was the only non-suit clothing item for which I'd ever paid more than $200. But I did pay $270 for a camel coat on Thanksgiving.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Quoted
    755 Post(s)
    Nice posting on From Squalor to Baller about C&J shoes today: http://fromsqualortoballer.com/crock...myn-st-london/

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    224 Post(s)
    GMTOs are continuing for now, will be reviewed periodically to determine whether to keep them.