Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: In search of chambray shirts, with a meandering prologue

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    554 Post(s)
    You should have soemthing to hold your tie down. a jacket, sweater, or tie bar are all fine. I even have a couple of old school tie pins. I dont use them much...heck, I dont use ties much anymore...but I liked them when I did. sounds liek you already found your chambray but my favorite one came from Old Navy, of all places.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    197 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Brockwell View Post
    Is it considered a fashion faux pas to wear a shirt and tie and nothing else (i.e. no suit jacket or sport coat?) I've heard conflicting opinion on this.

And what's the buzz on tie bars? I kind of like those, but I've never used one. Do they factor into the equation of whether it's okay to go with a tie and no jacket?
    I would avoid any tie accessory without a jacket. It would draw attention to the tie, which would only draw attention to the missing jacket.

Wearing a tie without a jacket can make your look like a store manager. I.e, someone who is required to wear a tie to "look professional." Under the rules of classic menswear, the look is frowned up. Whether you care about those rules is up to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Quoted
    265 Post(s)
    I've worn a tie without a jacket (or sweater) exactly once as an adult. I went to a friend's casual-ish wedding and wore nice dark gray slacks, a white shirt (I think, can't recall for sure), and a patterned gray on gray tie. The first thing another friend (not the groom) said to me is that the only other people dressed that way were under 10. He was right.

(I have worn a tie with a sweater and no jacket and I think that's fine.)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    If the execution is perfect, I believe one may look great with a tie and no jacket, but only if the entire look is totally deconstructed, so in this context, I'm picturing olive or medium-light brown cords or moleskin pants, a blue or bluish grey chambray shirt and a very textured knit tie loosely cinched with the top button undone and non metal or at least non shiny metal tie bar that is barely noticeable so the tie doesn't flop around.
    Last edited by DandyLion; January 13th, 2017 at 11:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttysonmcneely View Post
    You've gotten a lot of good suggestions, but one thing I wanted to comment on was this. You've given no information about your body type, no pics, and no information about what fit you're looking for, or an example of a brand and size that you like. Obviously this will come into play if you don't want to make alterations or be too tight...
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone, I really appreciate it.

I'm 5'10 and weigh about 183. I'd like to weigh 170. The chub is all in the tummy. My favorite fit of jeans (Old Navy) is the 32x32 in straight fit with the stretch built in. I do not like the no break look at all, particularly with jeans (I know it's en vogue, just can't hop on that bandwagon). In khakis the most common size I seem to come away with 33x30.

I own one suit, fairly dark gray. Haven't worn it since '14, for a funeral. Can't even remember the size, to be totally honest. I own a couple of sport coats, the Stafford brand from JC Penney. I think they're a 42R, but they may be a bit baggy around the shoulder pads? I don't think I'm particularly broad shouldered.

I do like to wear a sport coat if I have a meeting with people outside my immediate department. I'd love to get one that fits well, though I don't even really know where to go to get measured for one, and if I do it myself or ask my wife to do it, I'm worried I wouldn't note the measurements correctly and end up with something ill fitting (assuming I order it through one of these made-to-order websites). I like a lot of the ones on J. Crew's website. I'm particularly fond of tweed and other stuff that has a bit of thickness to it. I don't care for those more on the "linen" end of the spectrum, and I don't care for the more rigid, starchy fabric that often comes with sport coats bereft of lining--not sure what you'd call that.

One of my problems with wearing a sport coat on a daily basis is the rationale. For 90% of my work days, I sit in a small office at my computer in the corner of a building, unseen by pretty much anyone outside of a very small group of people who don't adhere to any particular dress code and on most days are more casual than I am. I don't like sitting in my office chair while wearing jackets, so it would literally be a case of me walking into the building, hanging it up on my door, working, putting it on to get back to my car, hanging it back up as I drive home, and putting it back in my closet.

I do like cardigan sweater vests, not sure if those could sub in for sport coats, but I don't want to come across as too "gramps'ish", and I live in an area where it's hot for 9 months of the year, with 100 being common in the summer.

Maybe I'll gather up the fortitude to post a photo soon. My wife will find that hysterical.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    197 Post(s)
    The sales staff at any decent menswear store would be able to tell your jacket size. Sizes vary by brand, and even styles within a brand, but it should give you a rough idea of what to look for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk