Thread: When to use Saphir Renovateur?

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    666 Post(s)

When to use Saphir Renovateur?

Title says it all. When do you use this product on your shoes?

Only to restore old shoes that need it?
    Before polishing all of your shoes, regardless of their condition?
    When exactly?

Also I read somewhere that Saphir will darken your shoe/leather. Is this indeed the case?

Thanks.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    150 Post(s)
    I use it every time before polishing, then in between polishes as needed.

I usually polish my shoes every two to three weeks with the following process a)wipe them down with a soft lint free cloth or shoe brush, if there is visible dirt that is not coming off this way I'll use a little water, then let the shoe dry thoroughly. b)with a soft lint free cloth apply a very light coating of Saphir Renovateur, allow at least 5 minutes to dry, brush off the excess with a shoe brush. c) apply a light coat of shoe polish or shoe cream (depending on the shoe) allow to dry (per manufacturers specs), brush off with shoe brush, buff with polishing cloth.....if I really want a high shine i'll repeat step "c" with a wax based polish and do a little spit shine. In between polishes if I start to see scuffs, creases, marks, ect i'll apply a little Renovateur to the area, let sit 5 min, buff off. Oh, and I bought a pair of used AEs off ebay a while ago, they were not in bad shape, but clearly used, I applied a decent coat of the saphir, let them sit overnight on shoe trees, buffed them, and they looked a million times better. I'll make no claims that this is the best way to take care of your shoes, but its what I have been doing for a little over a year now and I have been super happy with the results.

Edit: I have used it on a pair of natural colored oxfords and a pair of walnut colored derbys, both from AE, and did not notice any darkening
    Last edited by Me27; January 10th, 2017 at 04:33 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    I've used it as a cleaner/conditioner prior to polishing all my shoes since I got it about a year ago. I definitely don't do the brush/clean/polish routine as often as I should. It definitely takes up a lot of the dirt and other mess.

I haven't noticed it to darken anything, although I haven't used it on my lightest color shoes, walnut 5th Ave.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    193 Post(s)
    I use it before polishing and sometimes on its own (such as with cordovan or pebble grain), basically as a substitute for AE conditioner/cleaner. I haven't noticed it to darken any of my lighter leathers (walnut / tan).

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Quoted
    773 Post(s)
    I use similar to what @Me27 does, except I typically let the Reno dry for longer than 5 min (more like 15-30) so the leather can soak in as much as possible, since I'm mainly using for conditioning purposes. I also use a relatively small amount overall and focus on areas with creasing, scuffs, etc. the most.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    666 Post(s)
    Thanks folks. I like the process outlined by @Me27. When you apply the shoe polish or shoe cream, what are you using to apply it?

I think I'll give it a go on my shoes this weekend.

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Quoted
    773 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Thanks folks. I like the process outlined by @Me27. When you apply the shoe polish or shoe cream, what are you using to apply it?

I think I'll give it a go on my shoes this weekend.
    I use a brush, you can also use a cloth. Kind of a personal preference item. A similar method (and overall good resource, although has encouraged me to burn some cash on shoe care) is https://www.hangerproject.com/shoe-c...o-shine-shoes/

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    281 Post(s)
    I use a cloth to apply it the way Me27 describes. I used to do it every month but since September (moved state/house and had a third baby), I have only done it once. I still have some AE polish which I use on some shoes instead of Saphir.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    666 Post(s)
    Excellent. Looks like I know what I'll be doing this weekend now.

After the winter (which we are still in BTW) my shoes have taken a bit of beating. So a nice polish should help them out nicely. It was been a long l-o-n-g time since I've done any shoe maintenance.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    I use a piece of an old undershirt for applying conditioner, then dauber brushes for the polish, and a chamois cloth for buffing.