Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Watch Winder - - worth it or hassle?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks for the advice - i know how to set the watch, the annoyance was that when it winds down i can't tell if it's off by 12 hours or not - - a super minor annoyance, but worth $40 to me, so i got a cheap-o winder on amazon. So far so good. It's not constantly running, it spins for a while and then just sits there. I read on hodinkee that automatics are designed in such a way that they can't be 'overwound' - - i agree with Me27 that as i add another automatic or two to my collection it will be nice to just grab and go and not worry about having to set the date and then wonder if i'm off by 12 hours etc.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1070 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevew View Post
    Thanks for the advice - i know how to set the watch, the annoyance was that when it winds down i can't tell if it's off by 12 hours or not - - a super minor annoyance, but worth $40 to me, so i got a cheap-o winder on amazon. So far so good. It's not constantly running, it spins for a while and then just sits there. I read on hodinkee that automatics are designed in such a way that they can't be 'overwound' - - i agree with Me27 that as i add another automatic or two to my collection it will be nice to just grab and go and not worry about having to set the date and then wonder if i'm off by 12 hours etc.
    Which one did you get? I wouldnt mind having a 2 watch winder to keep a couple of favorites on

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    Which one did you get? I wouldnt mind having a 2 watch winder to keep a couple of favorites on
    I have been using this one and am really happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Vers...s=watch+winder

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    the diplomat, matte black. easy - 4 different settings for different movements - - super quiet so far (some reviews say it started clunking after 3-4 months)....only complaint is that the door opening doesn't auto-stop the winders, if they're spinning when you want to get your watch you have to reach around back and turn it off.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    i've got 4 automatics , 2 of which have a date function.I got a winder about 2 yrs ago. a cheap one off amazon. i like the convenience of not having to adjust the date and time every time I change the watch. the winder holds my quartz watches as well so they are all in 1 place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have 2 winders. One from Wolf (WOLF 456002) and one cheaper from Versa. I can say that expensive is better, because the Wolf is superior, while the Versa have had some flaws over the years (For example, the glass doesnt close as tight like when it was new)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    68 Post(s)
    Unless you have a huge collection, it's not worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Even if you have a huge collection itís not worth it. Iíve got (currently) 14 automatic watches and a broken 2 slot winder. So even with a pretty regular rotation Iíd still have one run down before I wore it again. And why buy a winder with 14 slots when I could spend that huge amount of money on another watch, or 4, which would also possibly be automatic? A competent winder will switch direction so as to not damage the watch. The issue will be lubrication/use. Storage for a watch not being worn isnít usually on the winder. Unless itís in a regular wear rotation, placed flat or in a case is normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk