Thread: Spier and Mackay

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    @SpierMackay

2 quick questions:

1: What is your coolest wearing sportcoat? Fresco, wool hopsack, or wool/linen? I live in Houston and the heat can be unbearable.

2: I am 5’8”, a 40s contemporary fit in your sportcoat and 16” 33 in your dress shirts. What size polo would you recommend? I was going to order medium, but I don’t want them skin tight. Would you suggest a large?

Thanks!!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    280 Post(s)
    @SpierMackay Just wanted to give an update and thanks in regards to the shrinkage/washing recommendations you gave. Washed them cold and didi short warm dry cycle. They shrunk in length by about 1.25Ē and are now perfect! Thanks!

Really digging the cutaway collars too. Iíve seen mention of long sleeve versions for the fall. Iíll definitely be keeping an eye out for those.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Quoted
    290 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafer28 View Post
    @SpierMackay

2 quick questions:

1: What is your coolest wearing sportcoat? Fresco, wool hopsack, or wool/linen? I live in Houston and the heat can be unbearable.

2: I am 5í8Ē, a 40s contemporary fit in your sportcoat and 16Ē 33 in your dress shirts. What size polo would you recommend? I was going to order medium, but I donít want them skin tight. Would you suggest a large?

Thanks!!
    Coolest wearing would be fresco. It's the most open weave and air can blow right through it and any perspiration doesn't get trapped.

For the polo, I would suggest a large if you are use to a more roomy fit. Then you can shrink it down with a wash/dry cycle to get a good fit. We actually designed them to shrink to size as we know most folks just chuck them in warm water and a dryer like they would a t-shirt.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Quoted
    290 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawfull View Post
    @SpierMackay Just wanted to give an update and thanks in regards to the shrinkage/washing recommendations you gave. Washed them cold and didi short warm dry cycle. They shrunk in length by about 1.25” and are now perfect! Thanks!

Really digging the cutaway collars too. I’ve seen mention of long sleeve versions for the fall. I’ll definitely be keeping an eye out for those.
    Excellent. We designed them with the intent that people would just wash/dry in warm and a dryer. So post wash they will be the correct, intended size.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    138 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpierMackay View Post
    I'm 5'7" 170 (yes chubby) and wear a medium.
    FWIW, I'm 5'7" 155, with a fairly prominent chest/upper back for my frame (in most OTR brand sportcoats, I'm a 38 in the chest, but shoulder width is more usually right in a 36), and the small is fitted in the chest, but not as fitted as a similarly styled Jomer's polo from last season (which I seem to have lifted myself out of over the winter) and skims the rest of my torso nicely, without being sausage tight. I have a small (and shrinking!) "spare tire" around my waist, particularly on the sides, and I didn't feel like that bit of bulge was conspicuous while wearing the shirt.

It also seemed to loosen up a bit during the course of the day, but not in a way I would call stretched out. The material just seems to have a touch of "give" with wear.
    Donít call what your wearing an outfit. Donít ever say your car is broke.
    Donít sing with a fake British accent. Donít act like your familyís a joke.
    --Jason Isbell

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpierMackay View Post
    Coolest wearing would be fresco. It's the most open weave and air can blow right through it and any perspiration doesn't get trapped.

For the polo, I would suggest a large if you are use to a more roomy fit. Then you can shrink it down with a wash/dry cycle to get a good fit. We actually designed them to shrink to size as we know most folks just chuck them in warm water and a dryer like they would a t-shirt.
    Thanks for the response! After comparing measurements to a few current shirts that I own, I took a flier on the medium. I like them a little more fitted and have dropped 15 pounds. I also do not dry my polos, so feel that they will work out perfectly. I bought a pair of fresco trousers but will have to wait on the sportcoat. You are sold out of 40s in the slim fit(again, I have dropped some weight). I hope there is a restock....