Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Spier and Mackay

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Some sweet-looking tweed and moleskin sportcoats just went live on the S&M site.

Did they offer these last year? Are they as awesome as other S&M jackets?

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    184 Post(s)
    @otoba -- I think it is new. I've been following the styleforum spier and mackay thread, and I'm pretty sure they are sourcing from some new fabric mills (at least for ready-to-wear online). I wasn't planning on buying anything this year, but I'm tempted. It all looks very nice.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    They do look great... But no 40L that I can see

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otoba View Post
    They do look great... But no 40L that I can see

Just FYI, I asked about the lack of 40L's on SF and received this PM.

"We discontinued 40L for the time being. It's a very slow and difficult selling size for us.

40L was not previously offered in Slim fit, only in contemporary. 42L does not come in the slim fit either, actually 42 does not come in a slim fit. Reason being, is that the Slim and Contemporary charts are made on different pattern blocks and grade differently. Size 42 is where the fits charts intersect and the 42 in both cuts are essentially the same. Hope that makes sense. The contemporary fit is a slimmer cut to begin with. "

I may try a 42L and have it tailored down if the shoulders fit appropriately.

-e

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Quoted
    276 Post(s)
    Unfortunately, no 40L. We have been getting some requests recently, especially in the sportcoats, so we're def. looking in to expanding sportcoat sizing moving forward. Funny enough, we added the 42 Slim for this season, simply because too many guys just want to wear a "slim" fit.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks @emynd and @SpierMackay. I didn't realise I was so anomalous! Your 40L is darn near perfect fit OTR.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otoba View Post
    Thanks @emynd and @SpierMackay. I didn't realise I was so anomalous! Your 40L is darn near perfect fit OTR.

How tall are you? Where would a 40R hit as far as your bottom half? Does it even come close to covering your rear? Just curious, because the new "trend" is to wear slightly shorter jackets. If the length of the jacket covers most of your rear, I'd say you should be okay. You really wouldn't know for sure without trying on a 40R though.

For what it's worth, I am 6'1 and the 40R is just long enough, but I could certainly wear a 40L as well without looking odd. Suit Supply fitted me in a 40L when I visited, but the R is just fine IMO.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Good point. I really probably should definitely try a 40R and see...

I am 6'2"... Jacket length (obv) varies depending on the specific model, length of the jacket. and the overall structure.

E.g., I have a JCF linen jacket in medium that from the measurements should be too short, but I guess because of the lack of structure actually does ok, but usually JCrew 40R is too short in both the arms and back.

However, last year's JCrew 40R tweed coats were fine -- they ran long in the arms and back, and are, maybe as you say "just long enough", but definitely a hair shorter than is traditional. I am getting a better idea of what length looks best, but I guess it takes time to build up that awareness. Where I work in academia, the *cough* "trend" is still for jackets that run wide and long, at least in the faculty.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)
    @otoba How long are your arms? I'm a 34.5" and had to have the sleeves on the S&M 40R jackets taken up about an inch to show 1/4" sleeve cuff.

Which J.Crew 40R did you try on? How does the Ludlow fit? The measurements are close, so that would give you an idea of how the S&M stuff will fit. Or have you tried Suit Supply? Their Havana measures basically the same as the S&M Contemporary fit.

I'd say this: if your rear is pretty much covered and the bottom of the jacket hits right around the knuckle on your thumb, you should be A-Ok.

Hope that helps. Happy hunting!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    This may have been asked and answered already and I did a search and found comparisons but not on size exactly, so I thought I'd ask. I have a couple of J Crew Ludlow jackets and two suits from J Crew (one is a Ludlow, the other is a DB number from their upscale Wallace and Barnes line though lest you think I'm made of money, I got it on steep discount. It's a killer suit). I'm a sucker for tweed so the Spier and Mackay tweed numbers Joe highlighted today are tempting. The question is I'm a 38 in J Crew...should I order a 38 in the S and M jackets? Any is the contemporary fit roomier or slimmer than the slim fit? Not sure which might fit my frame better. I'm 5'8" 154 lbs so not much extra around the middle.