Page 26 of 69 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Spier and Mackay

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark4 View Post
    This may have been asked and answered already and I did a search and found comparisons but not on size exactly, so I thought I'd ask. I have a couple of J Crew Ludlow jackets and two suits from J Crew (one is a Ludlow, the other is a DB number from their upscale Wallace and Barnes line though lest you think I'm made of money, I got it on steep discount. It's a killer suit). I'm a sucker for tweed so the Spier and Mackay tweed numbers Joe highlighted today are tempting. The question is I'm a 38 in J Crew...should I order a 38 in the S and M jackets? Any is the contemporary fit roomier or slimmer than the slim fit? Not sure which might fit my frame better. I'm 5'8" 154 lbs so not much extra around the middle.
    They are suppose to update their website soon with better sizing pages but I would say to order your J Crew size in slim vs. contemporary. Given that you can make your first sport coat or suit return for free, it is worth the chance.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)
    This may have been asked and answered already and I did a search and found comparisons but not on size exactly, so I thought I'd ask. I have a couple of J Crew Ludlow jackets and two suits from J Crew (one is a Ludlow, the other is a DB number from their upscale Wallace and Barnes line though lest you think I'm made of money, I got it on steep discount. It's a killer suit). I'm a sucker for tweed so the Spier and Mackay tweed numbers Joe highlighted today are tempting. The question is I'm a 38 in J Crew...should I order a 38 in the S and M jackets? Any is the contemporary fit roomier or slimmer than the slim fit? Not sure which might fit my frame better. I'm 5'8" 154 lbs so not much extra around the middle.
    The contemporary is roomier all around than the slim, extra waist, chest and even the sleeves are wider. Given that I would say you should go with the slim since you seem to fit into the Ludlow just fine.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    100 Post(s)
    Thanks for the advice!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)
    No 46L in the new sport coats either. Dammit.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    206 Post(s)
    I've been doing some digging on this subject the last couple of weeks, these are the published measurements for S&M and Ludlow for 36s and 38s:

Spier & MacKay Slim
    Chest, Shoulder, Waist, Sleeve, Length
    36s: 39, 17.3, 34.3, 23.4, 27.8
    38s: 40.9, 17.7, 36.2, 23.8, 28.1

Spier & MacKay Contemp
    Chest, Shoulder, Waist, Sleeve, Length
    36s: 40.2 17.3 35 23.4 30.1
    38s 41.7 17.7 37 23.8 30.5

JC Ludlow
    Chest Shoulder Waist Sleeve Length

36s: 38.5 17.5 35.25 24.375 28.25
    38s: 40.5 18.25 37.25 24.5 28.5

This doesn't actually jibe with what S&M has posted about the slim being slimmer than the Ludlow, at least in the chest, though it is more narrow in the waist and shoulder. YMMV. In trying on garments from J.Crew, JCF, BR and Suitsupply in the last week, the posted measurements vs actual fit don't seem to line up. I'm actually considering posting on this, because it's frustrating as all get out.
    Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
    Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
    --Jason Isbell

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    100 Post(s)
    I don't think I'd want to go any shorter in the body than the Ludlow is, or narrower in the shoulders and waist. I'm a 38 short in the Ludlow and it needs absolutely no tailoring, not even a sleeve adjustment. Take the better part of an inch off the waist though and there'd probably be some pulling at the button and I'd have to have it let out. I'm not sure narrower shoulders would get it done either.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    187 Post(s)
    I don't think I'd want to go any shorter in the body than the Ludlow is, or narrower in the shoulders and waist. I'm a 38 short in the Ludlow and it needs absolutely no tailoring, not even a sleeve adjustment. Take the better part of an inch off the waist though and there'd probably be some pulling at the button and I'd have to have it let out. I'm not sure narrower shoulders would get it done either.
    The shoulder width is narrower and the body is roomier on contemporary Spier and Mackay than J. Crew Ludlow. I had to size up on the 44R Spier and Mackay Contemporary navy blazer (more than a year ago) in order for it to fit my shoulders. I haven't actually tried a Spier and Mackay 42R though. A Ludlow 42R is one of the best fits for me of all retailers. I think Rick said the suit jacket measurements are what you should use for the new sport coats, but you might want to wait until they update the measurements on the website.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    187 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    I've been doing some digging on this subject the last couple of weeks, these are the published measurements for S&M and Ludlow ... I'm actually considering posting on this, because it's frustrating as all get out.
    I feel your pain. Struggling with measurements is the worst part of purchasing clothes online. You really have to treat them like a rough guide. Some retailers intentionally misreport measurements, and err on the side of their clothes being roomier than reported. Some retailers report body measurements and others report garment measurements (they are very different). You can often buy the same size and style and get slightly different measurements (I've seen this with 2 of the retailers you mentioned).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1 View Post
    The shoulder width is narrower and the body is roomier on contemporary Spier and Mackay than J. Crew Ludlow. I had to size up on the 44R Spier and Mackay Contemporary navy blazer (more than a year ago) in order for it to fit my shoulders.
    I can verify this statement.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)
    For those who were curious my peacoat came in earlier this week. Haven't had a chance to try it on until today.

For reference I'm 5'7" and around 135lbs, normally a S&M slim 38s is a near a perfect OTR fit for me with the shoulders being ever so slightly too big and the sleeves too long. I decided to go with 38s for this and it seems to run much roomier all around than I expected. It can't really be seen that well in the pictures but around the waist I am swimming in the jacket. The shoulders are also too big for me (narrow shoulders club). That being said the chest feels pretty good, especially considering that I will at times wear layers underneath. I am considering sizing down to the 36s to solve most of the sizing issues but am concerned the chest would then be too tight.

Quality wise the fabric is really amazing. This jacket is a hell of a step up from my old J Crew bayswater which I love. Collar should stand up on its own in these windy New England winters with no problem. It keeps warmth in very well, another 5 minutes around the house in it and I may have started to sweat!

Hope this helps those who were curious. Feel free to ask me any questions about the Peacoat or weigh in with thoughts on the fit. Maybe @SpierMackay could even weigh in on the fit?

*still suck at taking photos of myself*