Page 12 of 68 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Spier and Mackay

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)
    @lax101 @Sideswipe Thank you both. Could I trouble you to measure your 40R jackets using the method of measurement linked in the video below? I measure in at about a 19" or so, but I am curious to see what you guys come up with on your jackets, specifically if that's the measurement listed on the Spier & Mackay website. Thanks!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    When I measure my SM jacket that way, I get about 19" (give or take an 1/8th of an inch).
    “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
    "The mood will pass, sir.”

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)
    @Sideswipe You're a lifesaver buddy! That seals the deal for me - I'll be ordering a 40R in the Contemporary fit this weekend. Thanks so much man!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    Glad to help, hope it works out!
    “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
    "The mood will pass, sir.”

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    187 Post(s)
    @SpierMackay -- The new merchandise looks great. I have two questions:

1) Reading posts on styleforum I got the impression that the new denim shirt has slightly shorter sleeves than the measurements given. Is that true? Is this just denim shrinking as it always does?

2) Also, do the new linen shirts have slightly larger dimensions (e.g., longer sleeves)? My linen shirt from last year is a little bigger than my cotton shirts in the same size. I'm just wondering if that has changed.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    320 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1 View Post
    @SpierMackay -- The new merchandise looks great. I have two questions:

1) Reading posts on styleforum I got the impression that the new denim shirt has slightly shorter sleeves than the measurements given. Is that true? Is this just denim shrinking as it always does?

The denim is washed so the majority of the shrinkage is already removed. 1/2" is standard. So consider these "pre-shrunk".

2) Also, do the new linen shirts have slightly larger dimensions (e.g., longer sleeves)? My linen shirt from last year is a little bigger than my cotton shirts in the same size. I'm just wondering if that has changed.
    They are cut the same specs. Linen is a looser weave and contracts a bit more in the wash, but then relaxes again. Linen is a tough fabric to control, but a small +/- shouldn't affect the wearability. Our linen is quite slubby and more on the casual side of things, so being a bit on the looser side isn't necessarily a bad thing. For the sleeves, if the cuff button is done up, it should't run down your hand and sit in the correct spot. There may be a slight bit of extra fabric up the sleeve, but again, it shouldn't be overly exaggerated amount.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    187 Post(s)
    @SpierMackay -- Thanks for the fast reply! I just placed an order. I had a hard time limiting myself to purchasing just 3 shirts. I'm looking forward to the release of the new polo shirts. Will they have the same fit as your current stock of polos?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)
    @SpierMackay How much wider/baggier are the sleeves on the Contemporary fit shirts vs. the Slim fit shirts? For instance, if I wanted to order 15.5 in the Contemp fit vs. a 16 in the Slim. Thanks!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    320 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iviustang50h View Post
    @SpierMackay How much wider/baggier are the sleeves on the Contemporary fit shirts vs. the Slim fit shirts? For instance, if I wanted to order 15.5 in the Contemp fit vs. a 16 in the Slim. Thanks!
    There is a 1/2" difference between the two. The 15.5 contemporary has a bicep of 17" and the 16 Slim has a bicep of 16.5". If you are use to wearing 16 slim, you will notice the difference. It's marginal, but it can be felt.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpierMackay View Post
    There is a 1/2" difference between the two. The 15.5 contemporary has a bicep of 17" and the 16 Slim has a bicep of 16.5". If you are use to wearing 16 slim, you will notice the difference. It's marginal, but it can be felt.
    To achieve the proper shoulder width and sleeve length that might be a sacrifice I'm willing to make, especially since I will never button the collar all the way on an OCBD or Denim shirt. Thank you!