Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sweater recommendations

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Sweater recommendations

Hi everyone:

I wanted to buy a cashmere sweater for myself and was looking for some recommendations. I"m 5'10 and 190lbs. I was thinking of giving the Everlane sweater a try.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1092 Post(s)
    I am leery of cheap cashmere after personal experiences. While it is great to think, "I am wearing cashmere," it is always short strand cashmere that starts to look fuzzy real fast. I like my Banana Republic silk/cotton/cashmere sweaters more for the sub-$100 category and don't know at what point I would buy another cashmere sweater.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I'm also a fan of the Banana silk/cotton/cashmere v-neck sweaters (I have a couple of them), but also noticed that Nordstrom has a house brand with a decent looking version of a similar sweater on sale this week. Thought about giving them a shot if Santa throws a couple extra dollars my way.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    I am leery of cheap cashmere after personal experiences. While it is great to think, "I am wearing cashmere," it is always short strand cashmere that starts to look fuzzy real fast. I like my Banana Republic silk/cotton/cashmere sweaters more for the sub-$100 category and don't know at what point I would buy another cashmere sweater.
    Totally agree with this, esp. after seeing my wife's cheapo cashmere break down after barely one season.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    286 Post(s)
    Everlane seems like a trustworthy company though. If it were H&M marketing a cashmere sweater for $95, I would be highly suspicious. Everlane seems to maintain a limited inventory and they do provide some transparency in their product descriptions. Maybe try a cashmere beanie or something before shelling out for the sweater?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    Dumb question: Is cashmere not supposed to be "fuzzy"? I assumed that was what makes it soft (plus the finer fibers). I don't currently own any cashmere (excepting small amounts in blends), but what I owned in the past was pretty fuzzy from the time it was new.

Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2102 Post(s)
    Cashmere should be buttery soft to the touch, but if it has a fuzzy appearance, that generally means that a lower quality, shorter-length fiber has been used to make the yarn. Shorter fibers will break and unravel much more quickly and easily than higher quality, longer length fibers, which means more "fuzz" and eventually pilling. Pilling is, after all, just the result of lots of those little short, broken fibers turning to fuzz and eventually clumping together.
    Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    thanks for the suggestions

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    I have a couple of pairs of BR silk/cotton/cashmere v-necks (one in "sharp gray" and the other in purple) and also like them. They're good for year-round use, whereas BR's merino is slightly thicker than some alternatives and so probably best for mid-fall to mid-spring. Mind you, my mid-gray BR merino v-neck is perhaps my favorite sweater when in season. BR also has silk/linen sweaters that are good for mid-spring to mid-fall. So, you could get by either solely using silk/cotton/cashmere and forgoing both merino and silk/linen, or you could reverse that and not get any silk/cotton/cashmere and wear just merino from October to April and just silk/linen from April to October.

Either way, sweaters are one area where I definitely think BR is better value for the money than J. Crew. They're probably not just better value but better quality, despite being slightly cheaper. I do own a couple of JCF sweaters, but they're quite a bit cheaper, which makes them worthwhile despite not being as good as BR's. I recently bought a J. Crew merino v-neck in ebony but sent it back.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)