Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter Boots

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Winter Boots

Hello! I'm in need of some decent winter boots that wont be completely destroyed by snow/ice/combo. I currently reside in Austin, TX but, venturing up to Michigan for the holidays where I am poorly equipped in the winter boot department. There will be a lot of walking around in various environments and probably will have to deal with snow at some point I'm guessing. So! I'm hoping someone will be able to point me in the right direction.

Right now I wear mainly cap-toe boots (To Boot NY, similar to Thursday Boot) and would prefer to keep a similar style if at all possible. I'd like to keep it under $200 as well if at all possible. The research I've done so far seems to point to Wolverines, Red Wings and the like, which I'm not so much a fan of the bulbous toe box. But, of course I'll consider them if it means not getting frost bite.

Any ideas?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quoted
    287 Post(s)
    Winter boots are usually ugly because of the waterproofing and insulation. If there's a foot of snow on the ground, I don't care what my boots look like. I wear Timberlands because they're relatively inexpensive and can take a beating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theplayerking View Post
    Winter boots are usually ugly because of the waterproofing and insulation. If there's a foot of snow on the ground, I don't care what my boots look like. I wear Timberlands because they're relatively inexpensive and can take a beating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Makes sense. I wasn't sure if there was a brand I hadn't come across yet. Thanks for the input.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    For true winter boots, I wouldn't be looking at Red Wing or Wolverine. I'd be looking at Sorel, L L Bean, North Face, Merrill, etc. They won't look like stylish cap toe dress boots because those won't handle snow and slush well. True winter boots will also be insulated, something you won't find on dress boots or even typical work boots.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpark View Post
    For true winter boots, I wouldn't be looking at Red Wing or Wolverine. I'd be looking at Sorel, L L Bean, North Face, Merrill, etc. They won't look like stylish cap toe dress boots because those won't handle snow and slush well. True winter boots will also be insulated, something you won't find on dress boots or even typical work boots.
    Depending on the weather, look for insulated or uninsulated LL Bean. Typically the same price or a little cheaper than Sorel but have a great warranty. I know LL Bean sells wool inserts for the footbed so you can have uninsulated boots but have a bit of insulation just on the footbed. My brother in-law has a pair of rockports that are a hybrid looking - in between the red wing/wolverine and LL bean style - so you could check them out. Being in the Northeast I have a pair of insulated and a pair of uninsulated bean boots to cover the entire year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpark View Post
    Ahhh, yeah insulation. I see a trip to REI in my immediate future.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    330 Post(s)
    Kamik boots.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daednoise View Post
    Ahhh, yeah insulation. I see a trip to REI in my immediate future.
    By the way, be careful going overboard on the insulation. I picked up a pair of heavily insulated winter boots a few years ago thinking they'd be great for winter use here and be plenty warm when I'm in Vermont or elsewhere in real winter weather. But here is Seattle and they're almost unwearable because they're so warm. I've worn them only a handful of times

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Well I think I might have found almost exactly what I was looking for that hits all the criteria minus not being able to see them in person first https://www.amazon.com/Timberland-Sc.../dp/B00RE00EBY

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)
    Those don't look too bad. Personally I'm a fan of the Bean Boot. That LL Bean warranty is no joke.