Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your biggest value products?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)

What are your biggest value products?

I'm curious to see what others feel offer them the best value for specific products, as well as seeing what they define as a value purchase. I'm guessing there is a camp that aims for a certain level of quality and then finds the best price at that level, and others who will set an acceptable price point and search for the highest quality at that price. Personally, as a parent of two young children, I don't have much in the way of disposable income so I lean strongly toward the second option.

Two examples to start:

Uniqlo denim - For 50 bucks (sometimes even lower), their selvedge denim is fantastic. I have lower priced jeans (stretch denim from Old Navy) that are perfectly adequate and fit very well, but the Uniqlo is noticably softer and more comfortable. Disclaimer - this is the regular selvedge that doesn't seem to be available anymore; I haven't tried their stretch although I plan to.

American Optical aviators - Also around 50 bucks, made in America, very durable and a historical pedigree few affordable brands can match.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    502 Post(s)
    My Bean Boots.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric S View Post
    Personally, as a parent of two young children, I don't have much in the way of disposable income so I lean strongly toward the second option.
    I'm in the same boat. I consider most of the items I buy to be a good value, since I seek out things that I consider to be made of good materials and well made for a fair price, plus I generally wait of sales.

Brands that I do this with include Brooks Brothers (I have lots of their stuff, mainline and Red Fleece, but I think it's all been purchased at 40% off or more), Spier & Mackay (affordable even when not on sale, but an especially good deal when you bundle and there's a sale) and Uniqlo (I just got a merino wool sweater for $30 and it seems decent).

I also have the fortune of being able to buy things from Japan, so Kamakura shirts are much cheaper there and there's a wider selection. The value to me depends on the exchange rate at the time, though.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    257 Post(s)
    Allen Edmonds seconds from the local outlet store. Usually the defect is extremely minor or even impossible to find. I think I have 4 pairs of seconds and 3 or 4 firsts.

Spier & Mackay. Too bad their suit cut doesn't like me, I'd love to have a couple of them.

The Brooks Brothers real outlet in Garland. You have to compete with ebayers but the pricing is great. It was well worth the 3 hour drive down there to me.

NWT stuff on ebay if you know your sizing exactly.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)
    Brooks Brothers sale section, with the additional 25% discount and free shipping and returns through Shop runner is a decently cheap way to get a bunch of pretty high quality stuff, if you're patient. I also look at the Allen Edmonds clearance section, daily.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    I probably tend to lean towards the first version of value you listed, but for certain items I do have to just set a budget and do the best i can at a price I am comfortable with. I always do research and shop for what I know to be a well made products, and as often as possible I buy them on sale. To determine true value though for some items I feel like I have to wait a while. For example, I lost a button on one of my coats yesterday (J Crew University Coat i think it was called) , I was a little annoyed at first, but then I started thinking about it and realized I had bought that coat heavily discounted when I was in college about 8 years ago. Other than the button it has held up very well, it is super warm, style wise it works great with everything from dress pants to jeans, and I wear it very often when it is cold out.....so overall i would consider that coat a great value.

While durability and a good purchase price to quality ratio are very important to me (and it seems to me like the major focus of a lot of guys on this forum), they are not always the only factors to me when considering "value". At the end of the day, how much I enjoy owning an item of clothing really can have a big impact on my perception of value. An example of that is the Proper Cloth dress shirt that I am wearing today. I believe I spent $80 on it (it would have been $100, but I had some credits built up from reviewing other shirts). So from an objective durability or quality comparison it is hard to say this shirt was a good value compared to the $30 CT shirt I wore yesterday. However, I love wearing this shirt. It is simply the most comfortable, best fitting, and best looking dress shirt I have ever owned. I love putting it on in the morning and I almost don't want to take it off when I get home in the evening....I could go on about the shirts, but I don't want this turning too much into a PC advertisement so i'll sum up my point by saying based on how much enjoyment I have gotten from owning this shirt compared to what I paid, I would say the shirt is one of my biggest value products...well worth the price and I am looking forward to buying more.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)
    They get talked to death on here, but I was just thinking the other day about the incredible value of JCP's Stafford Deacon and Gunner boots. You can get them for $35 quite often. That's insane. Another one from JCP I stand by is their St. John's Bay henleys. You can usually get them around $12.

Levi's denim. So many options and incredible reasonable prices, particularly if you find them at TJ Maxx or Marshall's (the only reason I ever visit those stores).

Onitsuka Tiger sneakers. Classic running shoe style and can typically be had for between $25 and $50 on Amazon. Classic New Balances are usually a pretty good deal as well.

Personally, I really like Uniqlo flannel shirts when you can get them for $15. I also find their t-shirts are a good product for what you pay.

SuitSupply suits. I just can't see myself buying a suit anywhere else at this point. The quality they provide for between $400 and $600 is unbeatable.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1064 Post(s)
    Spier and Mackay shirts. I feel great wearing them and the fit is amazing OTR.

Levi's 501s though I have to try on the exact pair I buy because their measurements are terrible.

My tailor. When you put on pants that hit just the right length, you feel better for the $10-$20 spent.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)
    I'd have to say nothing in the style realm per se, but I have acquired a pelican case full of Mystery Ranch packs and frames from my days overseas with various go-fast dudes. I wasn't one of them, but I was offered some of the same gear and begrudgingly accepted.

Those packs and some of the other stuff I was provided, including my gore-tex desert boots, have been thru more than their fair share of hard use and all of it is still in fantastic shape. Were I in the market, I'd gladly buy a MR pack for personal use knowing what I know. Naturally I'm not likely to need one, because my body will give up on expeditions long before the gear does.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I have a peacoat from Topman that is a marled black/white fleck that I got some 12+ years ago that has held up incredibly well. I, like @Me27 above, didn't realise until recently how long I'd had it until I had several people compliment me on it and it dawned on me how long it was since I was in HS (in England). Cannot complain with the value that coat has provided me.