Thread: Allen Edmonds Acquired by Famous Footwear's Parent Company

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    388 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MNJ83 View Post
    ^^

A company that already makes all of its shoes in China and Vietnam such as Caleres gives 0 f's about heritage, quality or core bases. If making an AE women's line in China is what brings in the money then that is what happens. To think that somehow AE is excluded from the fate that has met other much more important mens shoemakers is not realistic. During the US industries' height, AE wasn't even a very important player. A lot more important names have fallen. Alden's saving grance is that it's low volume, family owned.
    I guess I just believe that it is better for the bottom line not to compromise quality. AE can not hide any such changes.

They may dilute the the brand by offering cheaper shoes alongside the other ones.

There is just much more competition at the bottom. If a company that makes cheap shoes already buys a quality shoe company, and has it starts making cheap shoes. It just created more competition for itself. To make both cheap shoes and expensive shoes is to expand business.

The mayor of the town where the AE factory is, isn't worried about it being shut down.

Let's not have the funeral prematurely.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    149 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    This exact kind of pressure happened to Bass, Dexter, Nunn Bush, Florsheim, Cole Hann, Johnston & Murphy, Hanover, Bostonian, Sebago, and hundreds of other companies I can't think of. All 9 I have listed are only a shell of their former selves. They've been GUTTED by corporate interests. No one these days wants Nunn Bush because they are horrible, but they used to actually make fairly good shoes.

All you guys that are trying to see this in some naive optimistic way, please remember that this liquidation and extermination of American manufacturing shoe companies has been a formula that's been followed for at more than forty years.
    Right- just think about the fact that north of Boston in Lynn, we had close to 250 shoe factories in the 1920's. And that that was just one area- there where many more in other parts. No one is being doom and gloom here, but why do people think that we have only AE and ALDEN left in 2016? The once thriving American shoe industry has been reduced to absolute ashes- we can't really talk about the reasons why without broaching other topics we can't address here. Should we just ignore history and pretend this has not happened? --

Is there a remote possibility that the powers at the new parent company that makes multiple cheap Chinese shoes are going to have an epiphany and see that value in keeping AE as is and catering to the small #menswear renaissance? ---I guess there is, but it's not likely.
    You can never have enough shoes

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    As multiple people have said, the fact that there being really two traditional American shoe makers left, raises the value of those companies in being able to reach a particular demographic. While I'm sure there is teardown value in the brand, they would also lose most of that goodwill in doing so, which I'd bet is a large portion of the total value. Because there are so few left, the relative profitability of keeping as is (or close to it) vs. making it into another Nunn Bush is not as large of a difference and allows the company to reach a different set of consumers.

While I wouldn't say it's a given which way the company will go, there are compelling reasons for the acquirer to not want to change too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    This is the third time Allen Edmonds has been sold since 2006 (as others have stated) with the value increasing each time. I don't think the new owners are going to mess with a good thing.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

Has anyone seen this?? Is this their new logo because of the acquisition?

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2051 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tailoredbydang View Post

Has anyone seen this?? Is this their new logo because of the acquisition?
    No, that's been around for years, used on a more entry-level line of shoes with glued construction.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    149 Post(s)
    That's AE by Allen Edmonds. An inferior line they make in Puerto Rico.'
    You can never have enough shoes

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    Gotcha, false alarm lol

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    Paul G is weighing in at Ask Andy, fwiw. (Page 3 of the thread on the Trad forum if the link doesn't work)

https://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/...00#post1814300
    “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
    "The mood will pass, sir.”

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    I was at J&M shoes store(There store front not the department store cause they are ugly there) and some of those shoes look very nice they look far from cheap and they always have customers buying. I think they are more expansive than Allen Edmonds, I noticed AE has more sales than J&M