Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Hand Welt Co/Anthony Veer Shoes?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Hand Welt Co/Anthony Veer Shoes?

    Has anyone heard of or tried Anthony Veer shoes? The website claims they are all "top quality goodyear welted" and judging from the pictures they have a nice shape to them. But they are crazy cheap compared to other high quality shoe brands, so I'm worried the leather is low quality which would make the goodyear welts sort of pointless. Can anyone provide some insight?

    https://handweltco.com/pages/about-us

    https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Cap-t...elt&th=1&psc=1

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Saw dis on reddit..

    https://www.reddit.com/r/malefashion...hand_welt_co/?

    They are direct 2 consumer so makes sense they are cheap... also they have 2 different categories, one is almost double the price... so maybe there is difference in quality between those two price point???... plus by their Facebook it seems they just launched...probs just trying to get their product pushed so ppl get to know them..

  3. #3
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    683
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    I don't understand why you would call a company Hand Welt Co, when the shoes are not hand-welted but Goodyear welted. Somewhat misleading.

  4. #4
    Varsity Member evanparker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Brighton, MA
    Posts
    1,717
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    639 Post(s)
    maybe the welting is made out of a human hand?

    or at that price range, might be a monkey hand.
    Last edited by evanparker; November 30th, 2016 at 11:25 AM.

  5. #5
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    2,807
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1076 Post(s)
    I have some lower quality GYW shoes from Bexley of Paris. I am going on year 5 with the shoes in my rotation and have been happy overall. I paid 200 Euros for 2 pairs back in January 2012. The letter will be thinner and will crease easier but as long as you put shoe trees in them you will be fine. The hardest part of buying the shoes would be hoping the last is going to fit your foot. I know Bexley has weird lasts so I would never buy them online.

  6. #6
    Varsity Member evanparker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Brighton, MA
    Posts
    1,717
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    639 Post(s)
    if the shoes on the website are representative of the actual shoes, then they look good for the money.

    I will just say they're not comparable to any $400 quality made shoe, but I don't think anyone would think that they would be.

    If you want to pick them apart, they, for instance, have fake dainte soles on the lower end models, and really removable cheap insoles in all the shoes. All of the shoes pictured have very poor quality laces in them, not quality waxed.

    The lining inside the shoes looks bad, and very rough around the edge.

    The soles on all of the shoes on the website look a little chewed up around the edge of the GYW from the machine.

    Overall, they look WAY better than those indian made Florsheim Kenmor shoes which often end up more like $224, and don't even have full grain leather or a real insole.

    For $200 they wouldn't hold up to AE seconds for the same price, but at $100 or so they look very very good.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spex View Post
    I don't understand why you would call a company Hand Welt Co, when the shoes are not hand-welted but Goodyear welted. Somewhat misleading.
    different company but they make goodyear welted shoes by hand --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4ciMkBjqfc

    goodyear welted is just the construction of the shoe.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    if the shoes on the website are representative of the actual shoes, then they look good for the money.

    I will just say they're not comparable to any $400 quality made shoe, but I don't think anyone would think that they would be.

    If you want to pick them apart, they, for instance, have fake dainte soles on the lower end models, and really removable cheap insoles in all the shoes. All of the shoes pictured have very poor quality laces in them, not quality waxed.

    The lining inside the shoes looks bad, and very rough around the edge.

    The soles on all of the shoes on the website look a little chewed up around the edge of the GYW from the machine.

    Overall, they look WAY better than those indian made Florsheim Kenmor shoes which often end up more like $224, and don't even have full grain leather or a real insole.

    For $200 they wouldn't hold up to AE seconds for the same price, but at $100 or so they look very very good.
    I would have to disagree with you on some parts. You need to look into direct to consumer brands, the reason a lot of these shoes are cheap because they are not in retail stores. They come straight from manufacturer so they eliminate a wholesaler and retailers that normally mark up the products 2X - 3X.

    You're making these remarks just by looking at pictures online, photos don't justify that. You really need to hold a product in your hand too see what its like. Look at photos of cole haan shoes, they look really nice cuz they hire some of the best photographers and editors to make those photos appeals to customers but they are different when you actually see the product and hold it. Also, some guy on amazon reviews that one their $100 pair is comparable to allen edmond? Also, I think these shoes are on sale cuz of cyber monday/week

    Anyways, i made an impulsive move and ordered their pricer shoes - Cali II Tan (no harm when its free shipping and return). Will let you know how it turns out.

  9. #9
    Varsity Member evanparker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Brighton, MA
    Posts
    1,717
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    639 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamekilla View Post
    I would have to disagree with you on some parts. You need to look into direct to consumer brands, the reason a lot of these shoes are cheap because they are not in retail stores. They come straight from manufacturer so they eliminate a wholesaler and retailers that normally mark up the products 2X - 3X.

    You're making these remarks just by looking at pictures online, photos don't justify that.
    did you look at the photos? they're very clear. you can see many low craftsmanship in a picture generally. if you know what to look for, it's not like some secret thing that is impossible to tell. poor finishing is very evident in clear pictures like they have.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    did you look at the photos? they're very clear. you can see many low craftsmanship in a picture generally. if you know what to look for, it's not like some secret thing that is impossible to tell. poor finishing is very evident in clear pictures like they have.
    Agree to that on their cheaper shoe ($99) but, I don't really see anything like you described on their pricer shoes ($189)
    Last edited by gamekilla; November 30th, 2016 at 11:39 AM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •