Thread: Dress shoes for flat feet

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Dress shoes for flat feet

What type of dress shoes do you recommend for someone who is flat footed? The problem I've been having is most dress shoes have kind of a narrow "waist" which make it look like my foot is bursting out of the shoe. I've tried wide width but they are kind of big. Any brands/type of shoe anyone can recommend (that's not too expensive)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Try wearing them with Superfeet insoles. They have a rigid plastic arch support below which prevents over-pronation. I was severely flat footed and although I have had corrective surgery as a child, my foot still pronates somewhat.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by misterm View Post
    What type of dress shoes do you recommend for someone who is flat footed? The problem I've been having is most dress shoes have kind of a narrow "waist" which make it look like my foot is bursting out of the shoe. I've tried wide width but they are kind of big. Any brands/type of shoe anyone can recommend (that's not too expensive)?
    I would suggest working with someone on your arches. Many problems stem from 'flat' feet - specifically movement based things. It will take some work to find an expert who can do it, but it is soooo worth it. Inserts correct the position of your foot but contribute to them becoming 'more flat'. Your foot learns to depend on the insert and gets worse and worse. Similar to alot of other foot issues related to the cushioned sneakers people wear and having an elevated heel. I have started to look for 'zero drop' dress shoes but the options aren't that great right now.

I am not a doctor, a PT or anything like that. I am writing from my own experience.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    212 Post(s)
    My flat feet only cause the "bursting out of the shoe" problem with loafers (which I wear anyway, because nobody but me is gonna notice). My flat feet cause comfort/fit issues with all dress shoes, though. To accommodate, I look for rubber soles (better shock absorption) and buy from brick-and-mortar stores or from online retailers with generous return policies (unless I'm gambling on eBay). You may want a slightly wider (not in size, but in design/style) toebox, too, which you can disguise by going with wingtips instead of plain- or captoes. (I don't know what it is, but the extra lines and broguing seem to make the shoes look less bulbous.)

As for brands, I've found that AEs, particularly with rubber soles, have good support (though I often take them to the cobbler to be stretched since their narrow lasts don't accommodate flat-footed-toe-splay very well), but far and away my most comfortable shoes are my Rockports. They have a lot of awful styles, but you can usually find something sleek/classic enough. I've also found comfortable offerings from Cole Haan, Lands' End, and Florsheim.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahamasmi View Post
    Try wearing them with Superfeet insoles. They have a rigid plastic arch support below which prevents over-pronation. I was severely flat footed and although I have had corrective surgery as a child, my foot still pronates somewhat.
    seconding the superfeet. An rei employee helped me get started with an easy level of arch(blue?), worn only for a couple hours a day until I could go all day. Have now upgraded to the orange set for more support and better fit to my foot type. I go up a half size in my laced shoes/boots and use them. Pretty much all I ask for if asked what I want for christmas. $50 for a set is way better than the custom $100+ orthopedic inserts my old room mate had to get.