Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AE new colors

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)

AE new colors

Looks like there are some new colors available in their popular models. Here's what I've noticed (there may be more):

- the McAllister in oxblood, which will replace the closeout merlot as the burgundy tone ideal for a wingtip.
    - the Strand, recently released in brown, green, and blue suede, is now also available in blue and grey leather.
    - the Park Avenue in blue leather.
    - the Fifth Avenue in oxblood.
    - the Cornwallis in both blue and grey. [Wish they'd chosen oxblood for this model instead].
    - the Mora 2.0 in chili.

They're calling the blue "midnight navy," but it doesn't look that dark to me in the product photos. Those are notoriously misleading, of course. I think the blue, especially in the Strand and Cornwallis - it might be too unusual a color for so formal a shoe as the Park Avenue - could be interesting for those with a large collection. I imagine Joe will like the new grey leather, given that he often sings the praises of grey shoes (for example, the J. Crew Kenton line in boulder). Both McAllister and Fifth Avenue should be great in oxblood - I think both styles work really well in burgundy. And the Mora in chili should be nice.

Still, I can't help wishing they'd first found a new medium-brown shoe to replace bourbon. Chili is both too dark and too red to be considered medium-brown. In my view, an ideal medium-brown does not have any red hues. These Carminas are, I think, pretty much the perfect shade of medium-brown:

http://us.skoaktiebolaget.se/collect...assic-in-brown
    http://us.skoaktiebolaget.se/collect...wn-calf-chukka

These are pretty good, too, but not quite perfect:

http://us.skoaktiebolaget.se/collect...wn-calf-u-wing
    http://us.skoaktiebolaget.se/collect...i-brogue-brown

I know that the difference is probably just the lighting in the photos.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1095 Post(s)
    -They had gray before but I don't remember it being too popular. I feel like they chose the wrong shoes to showcase the color like you mentioned on the Park Ave.
    -The Leiden looks good in a mix leather and suede or tweed.
    -The Washington Square needed to be a Adelaide with an austerity front, not their standard shoe build. Like the Cornwallis without perforations and the austerity.
    -But that Rudolph shoe...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    Yeah. I think the blue will work well with the Strand and the Cornwallis, but not the Park Avenue. I don't even really see the point of walnut Park Avenues or Fifth Avenues, and for all its "flashiness," walnut - or tan - is still a far more mainstream shoe color than blue. Blue might work better for the Exchange Place. If the color is going to work, I think it has to do so by drawing out the elegance of the shoe. The Park Avenue is a lot of things, but elegant isn't one of them.

The things about the gray are that somehow gray leather always seems to end up leaning light in tone and that it seems to me at least to lean rugged rather than elegant. It might work with the Strand, but I don't think it will work with the Cornwallis. I could have seen it working well with the MacNeil or perhaps the Leiden. Or with the Mora and St. John.

I like the weave Leiden but the product photos don't completely sell me on the suede. I do own a leather/suede wingtip, so I'm partial to the idea and hope it looks good in person. I still prefer the McGregor to the Leiden overall. Don't love the Washington Square, so yeah, perhaps an adelaide or something different would have been better.

Inclusion of oxblood within the McAllister and Fifth Avenue range is great, though. They were both glaring omissions. I personally think burgundy works better for both full brogues and quarter-brogues than it does for plain cap-toes and half-brogues.

I also very much like the look of the snuff suede Strand. It seems a bit lighter than the old brogue suede, and I think that's an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    -They had gray before but I don't remember it being too popular. I feel like they chose the wrong shoes to showcase the color like you mentioned on the Park Ave.
    -The Leiden looks good in a mix leather and suede or tweed.
    -The Washington Square needed to be a Adelaide with an austerity front, not their standard shoe build. Like the Cornwallis without perforations and the austerity.
    -But that Rudolph shoe...
    Last edited by srlclark; September 22nd, 2016 at 11:52 AM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    255 Post(s)
    Not really a fan of the grey. I clicked through the "View With Pants," and nothing really impresses me. In pretty much every scenario I can think of, another color would look better.

I am digging the Cornwallis in blue though. My "I just won the lottery shoe" would be a whole cut in Shell Navy, and these are probably the closest AE comes to that.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    @connersw I agree. Of the two new colors, blue seems very elegant and grey very rugged. The Cornwallis is rather elegant (at least by AE/American shoe manufacturer standards) so it should rock in blue. Grey would have worked better for a blucher or double monk, in my view.

I recently took a look in person at some Carminas at Tobox in Philadelphia. I can definitely see the appeal of shell cordovan. But I like horses a lot, having done quite a bit of horse riding when I was a kid, and so I could never wear a horse on my feet. Just my personal belief, not trying to influence others.

I realized I never answered your question about why I was looking for information on the J&M custom select. I have a mid-range shoe ambition, somewhere between your "I won the lottery" and an "I'm going to pick this up once it goes on sale or I've saved up for a few months." I'm a professor and I'll be up for tenure - which basically means promotion to associate professor and a very high degree of job security - in a couple of years. In the middle of 2018, I should get the decision. I also turn 40 in June 2018, so I was thinking of getting myself a couple of c. $500 shoes as a double celebration, assuming all goes well. (To date, I've never bought shoes at more than the AE price range). I've mostly been considering Alden and Carmina, so as to get both the American and European aesthetics, but I was wondering whether the high range J&M would be worth thinking about given the possibility of different size shoes on each foot. I think you're right that that perk doesn't really cut it sufficiently. Anyway, it's not something I'm actually going to do for quite a while. Thanks for your response though!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    Just noticed this. Loden suede. So good! I think I may snag one if they ever go on sale or go for cheap as seconds.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/dw/image...&sh=850&sm=fit

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by devastitis View Post
    Just noticed this. Loden suede. So good! I think I may snag one if they ever go on sale or go for cheap as seconds.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/dw/image...&sh=850&sm=fit
    I think all three colors of the suede Strand look awesome. My personal favorite is snuff, which I think looks much richer than the brogue suede it replaced. But navy and loden are great, too.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srlclark View Post
    I think all three colors of the suede Strand look awesome. My personal favorite is snuff, which I think looks much richer than the brogue suede it replaced. But navy and loden are great, too.
    Snuff is a lot more versatile, but loden is absolutely perfect for fall and winter.

Alden's hunting green suede is similar, but a bit more green. And their gunboats look so nice, but are a lot pricier.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BE7CqpKkbeu/

I have these boots in hunting green suede, and I highly recommend the hunting green/loden color to everyone. It's kinda of like the color you get when you've already filled out your rotation, but it does not disappoint.

http://i.imgur.com/rqNyy0t.jpg?1

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    I'm on board with loden/hunting green suede - there's a pair of Carmina Jodhpurs in this color that I've had my eye on. If you're interested in trying out navy suede before making the plunge on AE, I've got a pair of 9.5D Meermin tassel loafers listed for sale. I don't see the versatility of gray suede (vs. loden) in any situation but I also don't wear jeans a lot. @srlclark - My carminas feel like a much better value, especially the suede ones, compared to my Alden, whether on sale or at retail. Alden shell cordovan is nice but the Barrie last is just meh for me, if you can find something nice on the Plaza or another trim last and like that look, I think those shoes are worth their value. The unfortunate thing is how many styles have been aping the Barrie in recent years. Ultimately though go for the splurge that fits your foot best, those are the ones you'll see the greatest return from.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    @devastitis

Yes, I love your Alden's in hunting green, which you've shown me before. Where they a J. Crew collaboration? I think I saw some hunting green Aldens on the J. Crew site a while back, but yours look much greener, which is great. I am always trying to work more green into my wardrobe, something that Joe recommends, too. I have the Neumok (1.0) in olive. When I was in the AE in Philadelphia three weeks ago, they showed me the loden suede Strand and Dundee. The Strand is a bit greener than the Dundee. I'm actually going to take a break from extending my shoe wardrobe, because I've bought a lot of shoes in the last two years - just this summer, I've bought black Fifth Avenues, merlot McAllisters (which I wore to work for the first time yesterday), and chestnut BR Wyatts - and I want to concentrate on improving my blazer and wool dress pant collection for the next six months to a year, instead. But I will think about the loden Strand at some point. I own a dark brown suede shoe (BR Caden) but would like a medium-brown one. But if I pick up the Loake brown Kempton on my annual visit to London in June, then I might well get the Strand in loden rather than snuff. Otherwise, I think medium-brown/snuff has to come before loden.

@LosRockets Yes, when I make the splurge purchase, I will definitely pick up a pair of Carmina's. I tried them on in Tobox in Philadelphia at the start of the month and was impressed. I absolutely love their shade of medium-brown. The splurge won't be until the summer of 2018, though. I'm planning way ahead! The question is whether I also get an Alden as well as a Carmina, or just stick to the one splurge. I'm tempted to get a sleek Carmina balmoral brogue (or a chelsea) and a gunboat Alden long-wing, for contrast. But it'll depend on my financial situation at the time. And on what fits. And on the state of my shoe wardrobe.
    (Not sure if the navy suede suggestion was directed at me or devastitis, but I have J. Crew Kenton wingtips in navy suede. I wore them today, actually).
    Quote Originally Posted by devastitis View Post
    Snuff is a lot more versatile, but loden is absolutely perfect for fall and winter.

Alden's hunting green suede is similar, but a bit more green. And their gunboats look so nice, but are a lot pricier.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BE7CqpKkbeu/

I have these boots in hunting green suede, and I highly recommend the hunting green/loden color to everyone. It's kinda of like the color you get when you've already filled out your rotation, but it does not disappoint.

http://i.imgur.com/rqNyy0t.jpg?1
    Last edited by srlclark; September 23rd, 2016 at 11:05 PM.