Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for...sportcoat

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)

Looking for...sportcoat

If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it.

I'm looking for the following in both a navy or dark blue solid and in a grey herringbone (or other semi-neat pattern) year-round color/weight.

Must be:
    -All wool or mostly wool with other natural fibers blended (silk, cashmere, linen). No poly!
    -Slim/tailored/contemporary fit, but not super skinny
    -Not chopped too short, but a contemporary length.
    -Not too structured (soft shoulders, partial lining)
    -Budget is $150-$175 each.

I've looked all over, and it's really difficult to weed out all the poly-blended stuff I don't prefer and still stay in budget. (no judgment to those who don't mind poly. it's just not for me). and weeding out all the super-deconstructed cotton jackets.

I bought the Bensol navy blazer from Nordies, but i might be between sizes there. the 40Reg is very difficult to button the top button without extreme pulling (take cover!), but i'm afraid the 42R will be too wide in the shoulders. i'll have to try it on.

I'm open to being convinced to stretch my budget a little if you can make the case that i'll get a signficant upgrade in quality and longevity.

Candidly, I am naive to many of the brands i see discussed in threads here. i just never took the time to learn brands like Suit Supply, Bonobos, Civiliannaire, DSTLD, Spier & Mackay, and the brit-stores, etc...I'm mostly aware of the nameplate stores. BR, JCrew, Lands End, and the Dept stores. So if there is a sportcoat that fits the above criteria at an off-mainstream brand / internet-only store, I'm probably not aware of it.

thanks!
    Last edited by DandyLion; September 20th, 2016 at 10:57 AM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    187 Post(s)
    Most of the brands you mentioned are way outside of your price range or much slimmer than a typical Nordstrom jacket (slimmer in the waist relative to the shoulders). You can probably find a fused 100% wool jacket that meets your description at Lands End or department stores, but you may have to compromise on your "structure" requirement. If you have a lot of time, then I'd keep an eye on what goes on sale at Spier and Mackay and maybe the sale section for J. Crew Crosby blazers (definitely try one on in a store). I think BR recently added some roomier blazers, but otherwise they tend to fit similar to a J. Crew Ludlow, which is almost always slimmer than Nordstrom.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Quoted
    329 Post(s)
    Spier & Mackay has their navy Hopsack (currently sold out in your size, but I believe they will be restocking soon). Good all season weight, and I've heard phenomenal things on them. They're also releasing they're navy 3 roll 2 within the next month. And they have your grey herringbone as well. It's a wool/cashmere blend though, so it wouldn't be so much of an all season jacket. They'll be about $100 over your budget for each though. But your navy blazer would be a good investment piece. http://www.spierandmackay.com/sportcoats

Land's End has their brushed cotton herringbone on sale for $90. I know it's not wool like you're looking for, but Land's End has some items of pretty decent quality, especially for that price.
    http://www.landsend.com/products/men...69&PID=2178999

As far as convincing you to stretch your budget, that's a personal matter of your financial status and the priorities of which you use your finances. I will say that if you increased that budget by $100, say went with S&M for $270ish, the quality and longevity of the jacket will be of significant difference. Which can be well worth that $100 (again, personal situation will take priority) especially if it's going toward a more all season/most occasion item like a navy Hopsack blazer which can be worn anywhere from jeans (some will contest) all the way to crisp wool trousers, tie, & oxfords.

$150 is a tough price point to find in 100% Wool, especially of good quality. Although I'm sure it can be done! Jcrew Factory also might have something along the lines of what you're looking for in your price range, although I'm not certain it will be a 100% Wool or blend.

Good luck, and happy hunting! Let us know what you find!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    combatgent has some in 100% wool just under the 200 mark. Looks to be everything you needed, at least in this style. Half lined, no poly in the fabric, not totally unconstructed, gray herringbone. It doesnt look like the have a plain solid navy one tho

https://combatgent.com/outerwear/sum...-travel-blazer

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

?tiny head odd?

Quote Originally Posted by Leanderthal View Post
    Land's End has their brushed cotton herringbone on sale for $90. I know it's not wool like you're looking for, but Land's End has some items of pretty decent quality, especially for that price.
    http://www.landsend.com/products/men...69&PID=2178999
    apologies to @DandyLion, but I have to take this on a bit of a tangent...

The LE jacket linked above is traditional length but with current skinny lapels and high button stance (granted: being 6'6" w/ only 33" inseam - ergo obscenely long torso - so I am particularly sensitive to high button stance ). Does that just look really odd, like tiny head odd, to others here? or is it just my perspective? Is this the new LE trying to keep the best of their trad with the addition of some current trend and, in the sum, getting neither effect?

Dmerch
    @hauttedoggie the LE blazer definitely looks really bad on the guy with the burgundy turtleneck, but that's just gonna be a bad look for anyone I'll bet. Only a company that's also in the business of selling turtlenecks would put that outfit together, especially with the matched pants. Now, in the last pic, with the red vest and the plaid shirt, it actually looks pretty sharp. But the dude is more handsome, the lighting is better, and he's kind of slouched so the button stance issue may be disguised.

To the OP, I managed a year or so ago, to get one of those JCrew blue Ludlow blazers--that folks speak so highly of--on eBay, new, in your price range. I almost never luck out like that on eBay, but it probably helped that I had tried them on in the store and knew exactly what I needed. My attempts to score a similarly sweet deal on a Zegna jacket on eBay have all gone badly. But then, I really didn't know what I was looking for there, and my ignorance didn't serve me well. If you know what you want, and you stick to highly rated sellers, and you have a little patience, eBay can work. That stuff doesn't just fall off the truck and disappear you know.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    Try Hart Schaffner Marx (New York fit), sold at Dillards. On sale, that should be in your price range. The advantage is that you can try it on in the store.
    I recommend you find something that fits you well, then use that to get your measurements. That'll make it possible to order from stores such as SuitSupply, Spier & Mackay with confidence (these stores publish their measurements for all their sizes/ fits).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    Good fit, soft shoulders, all natural material, less than $175...if anyone spots something like this outside of eBay let me know. I've never come across anything close, at least not anything that wasn't a super rare end of season discount, and even then I've never seen a decent looking sport coat for less than maybe $250. Perhaps my standards are too high in what I would wear, though.

Edit...some of the BB Red Fleece sportcoats aren't bad. I have a navy cotton pique unstructured jacket that I managed to score in a long size (it's still a bit short but not as cropped as their regular sizes). I managed to buy it at the height of their sale last winter when I think I paid $225 CAD for a jacket that was close to $500 CAD retail. That's approx $171 USD now. Mind you, many of the RF jackets are blends of cotton, but at least still natural fibers.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    Maybe try Yoox, but there's a lot of trial and error in that.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Nordstrom Rack is my go-to for blazers and sportcoats. There's a lot of poly junk there, but good stuff like Todd Snyder floats through once in a while.