Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cali style - going on vacation

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    562 Post(s)

Cali style - going on vacation

I will be visiting the LA and maybe San Diego area for a vacation soon. I'm an east coast person so I know how to dress for NY/DC but have never visited Cali. I will be there doing the touristy stuff so it's not like I'm trying to be dressed up and stylish. Mainly trying to get an idea of west coast style so I know whether they pack more shorts or chinos, t-shirts or polos or camp/Hawaiian shirts. I will be doing Disney, Universal Studios, Veince Beach, Santa Monica Pier, etc.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    286 Post(s)
    I don't live in California, but I'm in the LA/OC area fairly regularly for work. I would say that you can get away with pretty much whatever you want. It's pretty hard to look out of place there. Temps drop pretty quickly once the sun goes down, if that influences any of your choices.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    208 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by batkins9 View Post
    I don't live in California, but I'm in the LA/OC area fairly regularly for work. I would say that you can get away with pretty much whatever you want. It's pretty hard to look out of place there. Temps drop pretty quickly once the sun goes down, if that influences any of your choices.
    This is especially true on/around the beach. I was out in LA in July and inland it was super hot every day. We spent a couple evenings in Santa Monica and Huntingdon Beach and it got really chilly! I did not plan for that and was wearing shorts and a polo. Ended up being really cold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    As a native Southern Californian, here are some tips...

It is very laid back here, and casual comfort rules the day. But don't be fooled... people are is still fashion and brand conscious. Sandals can be worn virtually year-round. If your not a sandals guy, then some nice tennies - like some Purcells or Stan Smiths, or even Vans - will do nicely. It's still fairly warm here, so I would pack more shorts, polos, and short sleeve button downs or tees to wear during the day. But as mentioned, it can get chilly in the evening; packing some denim or a nice pair of chinos and long sleeve button downs will be worthwhile. Add a light sweater or jacket to top things off. Finally, please don't don't use the word "Cali"...

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    105 Post(s)
    Also some don't realize that Santa Monica pier and Disneyland can be two hours of drive time away from each other. 2pm - 7 pm can be horrible traffic if you don't know the routes. Might be better to plan a dinner and a movie if you can get out or in around those times

But as others have said, sweat during the day and cold feeling at night if there is ocean air. The 30* drop to 65* feels colder to us but may be normal temps for others.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    657 Post(s)
    as a 5 year former Orange County resident i can attest to the following:

I would try to state that as politiely as possible, only a tourist or a dad would wear a Hawaiian shirt.

"Disney, Universal Studios, Veince Beach, Santa Monica Pier," are all spectacles, but only in the way that they are spectacles of tourism. They're not really indicative of the LA or OC cultures as a whole. Residents from LA or orange county don't really go there. My suggestion would be that you should try to branch out a bit from the tourist attractions perhaps? I couldn't think of less-fun places to have to go. There are lots of great things to do in the area, just maybe not in the tourist centric places.

LA things to go do include:
    Go hop bars downtown, or silverlake, or somewhere that appeals to your personality a little bit
    Go to the most mexican neighborhood you possibly can find, and then get the best tacos of your life from some little taco cart.
    Go to see the watts towers
    Go hike or even just drive up Angeles Crest Highway to see the view, and the coolness in the mountains.

OC things to go do include:
    Go for a walk down by crystal cove! Maybe the best stretch of coastline in orange county.
    Go see Laguna Beach (the drive through the hills down 133 is breathtaking!), and go to the beach at Crescent Bay. or maybe even Heisler Park too
    Go make a bonfire on Huntington beach on a weeknight. They have these bonfire rings things on the beach, it's kind of fun. Everyone brings booze and the cops
    go hike Laguna Coast Wilderness Park. super nice! commune with all the neat succulents and literal tumbleweeds.
    go get a frozen banana on Balboa Island (yes this is somehow actually a thing there)
    In and Out burger!

Outside LA/OC
    Go drive out on the 78 to the 86 and see the spectacle that is the Salton Sea.
    Drive up PCH to Ventura, super beautiful!!
    Drive up PCH to from Venture to Pismo Beach, super SUPER super beautiful!!!
    Temecula Wine Country is just breathtaking.
    If you're not from the West, and haven't seen one before, Go drive out to the desert. It's just amazing to see it if you haven't before!
    The Roof Top in Laguna Beach is a very OC place to go hang around and drink.

classic OC wear includes a (probably a graphic)t shirt, probably of a surfing company, and whatever shorts. and probably some $500 designer flip flops.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    187 Post(s)
    Since we're all throwing down our southern california creds, I was born in and lived in Newport Beach until I was 19. Yes, the frozen bananas are a thing, but they're gross. Get a Balboa Bar with all the toppings instead.

Most people are surprised that it's still hot in September and October. Definitely bring shorts, board shorts, sandals (Rainbows are good), jeans, a button down, a nice-ish pair of shoes, and a sweater or light jacket. I'll disagree with @evanparker and say that hawaiian shirts are an Orange County locals thing, but mostly ones that are fishing or sailing themed.

To add to the to-do recommendations above, I would add Korea Town in LA for food and/or to see a show at the Wiltern.
    If you don't go to the Wiltern, then see a show somewhere. LA (and the greater Southern California area) is literally the biggest artists colony in the world. Take advantage. See a concert, watch a play, look at art. You will be surrounded by some of the most driven artists in the world. They're the reason Southern California is both amazing and insufferably snobby, boorish, exclusionary, etc.
    It's kind of a touristy thing to do, but I like to visit the Disney concert hall when I'm in LA. It really is a cool building.
    Disneyland is legit, don't believe anyone that tells you the locals don't go. Go unless you've been to Disney World. They're basically the same.
    I really like both the Getty Museum and the Getty Villa. They're two totally different experiences, but well worth it if you're into architecture or museums.
    Eat mexican food every day. Tacos. Eat all the tacos.
    Learn to surf. Or at least play in the waves. Go earlier in the day before it's too hot and the beach gets crowded.
    Don't be afraid of the freeways. Avoid rush hours and you'll mostly be fine. Check traffic before you leave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    "Eat Mexican food every day. Tacos. Eat all the tacos."...

This!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    286 Post(s)
    I forgot, if you ask to go to Huntington Beach, the first "t" is silent (Hunington). When referring to highways, add "the" in front of the number (the 5, the 10, etc.). Just a couple of things to help you sound more like a local if you care about that kind of thing.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thedrake View Post
    I really like both the Getty Museum and the Getty Villa. They're two totally different experiences, but well worth it if you're into architecture or museums.
    My #1 recommendation. Also, if you like museums, or rather, want to visit a museum that questions the purpose of museums, try the Museum of Jurassic Technology. The less you know going in the better.

It will be warm. Wear whatever you want, it's LA.