Thread: Uniqlo jacket: OK to remove the sleeve cuff vent?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Uniqlo jacket: OK to remove the sleeve cuff vent?

I like Uniqlo jackets and as Joe has argued many times, they idiotically insist on using functional sleeve button holes. The result is that an XL fits my chest and waist but the sleeves are way too long. So long in fact, that the functional holes can be cut off without shortening the sleeves inappropriately. So far so good. The problem is that my tailor also removes any semblance of a cuff vent and argues that it's impossible to keep the vent, even a tiny bit of it, because the sleeves have to be shortened so much.

Question 1: Is it possible to leave a cuff vent at any sleeve length and thus is my tailor an incompetent?
    Question 2: If a vent is not possible, how bad is it to have jacket sleeves without cuff vents?
    Last edited by Jon Rockoford; September 1st, 2016 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Clarification

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)
    I don't really think anyone would notice. I don't know - maybe it's just me.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    Nobody would notice. The alternative (shorten from the shoulder) is significantly more expensive and I wouldn't do that if I can avoid it, especially for a Uniqlo piece. I have done the same for a BR jacket and no one can tell.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    198 Post(s)
    Just have him sew the buttons on the shortened sleeves and call it a day. Fine in my book.