Thread: HELP! Can I wear this after Labor Day?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

HELP! Can I wear this after Labor Day?

Hi guys,

Got a quick style question for you... I have a solid navy seersucker suit from J. Crew, very similar to this one: http://cdnb.lystit.com/photos/2013/0...arge_flex.jpeg

I love it.

What are the chance I can get away with wearing it at a fairly casual wedding in two weeks?

I'd appreciate any feedback you guys want to throw my way!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    It's a navy suit. It's fine. Don't wear seersucker if its cold out for the same reason you shouldn't wear a fur hat when it's 80F, but if it's warm, seersucker is appropriate.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    389 Post(s)
    Stylewise you can wear it, just worry about the weather. I don't think there is a seersucker after labour day rule, but if there is no one cares.

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1401 Post(s)
    Hells if the weather is still warm enough to wear the seersucker then go for it. No reason to put it back in the closet for another season. I still plan on wearing my white jeans as long as I can.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    The Labor Day rule only ever made sense in a place like New England where it actually starts cooling off in September. I've got at least another 7-8 weeks of hot weather here in Atlanta and plan on continuing to wear my linen trousers, tan suede loafers, white jeans, etc until then.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    There are some pretty traditionalist people, even in the South, who will fuss at you for wearing seersucker after Labor Day. Your navy suit will not attract their attention, because they won't even understand what it is. But even if they happen to notice and say something, you have the option of not caring one bit what they think. I highly advise this last course of action.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BB View Post
    There are some pretty traditionalist people, even in the South, who will fuss at you for wearing seersucker after Labor Day. Your navy suit will not attract their attention, because they won't even understand what it is. But even if they happen to notice and say something, you have the option of not caring one bit what they think. I highly advise this last course of action.
    Pretty much this. I wear my navy seersucker whenever I want (mainly depending on the weather). No one really notices/cares it's seersucker unless I mention it, since it isn't the tradition white & blue (or grey or tan) version.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks for the votes of confidence, guys. I'm going to stick with it, unless we get a nasty cold front...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bsm85 View Post
    Thanks for the votes of confidence, guys. I'm going to stick with it, unless we get a nasty cold front...
    Keep in mind, also, that in a navy suit from J Crew you'll be better dressed than most of the schmucks at the wedding. I'm getting used to being almost the only person in a suit at any given wedding or funeral.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saskatoonjay View Post
    Keep in mind, also, that in a navy suit from J Crew you'll be better dressed than most of the schmucks at the wedding. I'm getting used to being almost the only person in a suit at any given wedding or funeral.
    Well it really all depends on the wedding.....I have been to weddings where your statement would probably hold true, but I have also been to a lot of weddings where your statement would be absolutely false.