Thread: "Padfolio" Suggestions

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)

"Padfolio" Suggestions

So I spend quite a bit of time going around a hospital in meetings and take lot's of notes. Despite my ability to type nearly 100 wpm, I don't have a work laptop to carry around with me. So I usually use the dreaded "padfolio" and have always just gotten a cheap one from Office Max every couple of years- black, pleathery looking things that make me feel like a green grunt right out of college.

I'd like to go out and get something with a bit more visual appeal/quality look to it- real leather that will patina and look better over time rather than rattier.

Curious if anyone has experience with this kind of thing and maybe can share a recommendation.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    187 Post(s)
    @DapperTexan -- I have no experience with this, but since no one has offered a suggestion, have you considered Saddleback?

I'm probably the only person on Dappered Threads who doesn't like their bags. I'm just not into roughneck chic. I own some rugged stuff, but I don't pay lots of money for it.

However, the leather portfolios look very nice. And the company is local for you.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    I have subscribed in the hopes of gaining some advice on the topic.

The saddleback ones seem too thick from the pictures. Wish I knew of others though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    Actually, Montblanc makes some but they are pricey too. Have you looked at those?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DapperTexan View Post
    So I spend quite a bit of time going around a hospital in meetings and take lot's of notes. Despite my ability to type nearly 100 wpm, I don't have a work laptop to carry around with me. So I usually use the dreaded "padfolio" and have always just gotten a cheap one from Office Max every couple of years- black, pleathery looking things that make me feel like a green grunt right out of college.

I'd like to go out and get something with a bit more visual appeal/quality look to it- real leather that will patina and look better over time rather than rattier.

Curious if anyone has experience with this kind of thing and maybe can share a recommendation.
    which notepad/product specifically do you want a cover for?
    I would suggest getting the name, or the dimenions, and typing them into etsy. A lot of rough stuff there, but some really impressive things too at competitive prices. Especially with the rise of bullet journals( #bujo )

Dmerch
    I have the saddleback portfolio in their old black color--I think it was called carbon black.

It's very nicely made, feels indestructible, lovely copper rivets, and the leather feels gorgeous. Even at a glance, there's no doubt that it's not some pleather piece of trash. I feel like a baller every time I open it up in a meeting. I even bought a fountain pen, and I keep it stocked with Rhodia paper pads, which cost a fair amount, but it seems wrong to put office max paper in it.

Downsides are that it's rather heavy. It's nothing to carry around the office to meetings, but it's heavy enough that I don't like to take it home with me. I walk 1.5 miles each way, and whatever it is that it weighs, I notice it in my backpack. It is rather thick, but I'm not sure how thick--I'm at home and it's at the office right now, but not so thick that it feels weird. It seems substantial is all.

I do think, if I had it to do over, that I'd get a different color. When I got it, 4-5 years ago, I was under the impression that black was the only way to go with leather accessories, but I feel differently now. Aside from that I think it's fantastic. If there were something now made of horween chromexcel, I'd buy that instead, but otherwise I'd definitely get another saddleback portfolio.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)
    I looked at Saddleback and really liked the rugged look and Chestnut color... But it is kinda pricey and they are sold out currently for Medium size.

However I did look at Etsy and think I might have found a winner. Getting a crafter to customize one of their models (for no added cost). Full grain, veg-tanned dark leather, hand made in US, and for $105. I saw she has done some in English Bridle leather which could also be really cool for the patina. But for my more conservative/professional setting I think Dark Brown is better (different than the normal black pleather but not loud).

Her page is here https://www.etsy.com/listing/2091262..._home_active_1

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    I'll take a look at the link but that sounds awesome!

What kind of customization are we talking about here?