Thread: Cheaper alternative to JM Weston penny loafers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Cheaper alternative to JM Weston penny loafers?

I am looking for a nice pair of burgundy penny loafers and it is surprisingly difficult.
    My ideal is the 180s from JM Weston, but I'm not going to drop $835 on a pair of loafers...
    I'd be willing to spend up to $300, maybe $400 if I found something really perfect.

I had a look at Meermin - their Bob last would be perfect, but it is only available in black currently.

Looked through Allen Edmonds - Lake Forest and Randolph are OK although maybe not 100% what I am looking for.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    257 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks winghus.

So I did my homework and found (I think) basically every burgundy loafer on the net in the $200-$500 range...

I ended up ordering these Yanko loafers in burgundy from Patine. Taking out VAT, they cost only $200, but the shipping to the US is an extra $50 on top of that.

Other contenders were:
    Brando from Crownhill shoes
    Stewart from Paul Evans
    Sulky 300 from Loding - these look almost exactly like JM Weston 180s, for what it's worth, but I decided I didn't like the boxy toe so much after all
    Donnington loafer from Barker
    Riverford loafer from Herring
    And then the usual suspects from Allen Edmonds (Lake Forest or Randolph).

I was very strongly considering these Carlos Santos loafers, but they are a bit too much on the brown side for me rather than burgundy.

Burgundy loafers are surprisingly hard to find. Mostly they are only sold in black, dark brown, and sometimes tan. For whatever reason, burgundy tassel loafers are much more common. Sometimes I wonder if it's the same factory in Spain making all the shoes...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Ended up getting these Yanko loafers in burgundy.
    My exact criteria were: penny loafer, burgundy, must not have beef roll.

I did my homework and think I found basically every burgundy loafer in existence on the net. For posterity's sake, here were the other contenders.
    Brando loafers from Crownhill
    Paul Evans loafers in oxblood
    Loding "Sulky 300" loafers - FWIW, these look almost exactly like JM Westons. I decided I didn't like the big toe box so much after all, so I got something more rounded - but those would be my JMW lookalikes.
    Riverford loafers from Herring
    Donnington loafers from Barker
    Carlos Santos loafers in Guimaraes Patina - I think these are actually dark brown, but they look really nice anyway. They look purple in some photographs.
    AE Lake Forest or Randolph

Burgundy penny loafers are surprisingly rare among most of the $300-$400 range shoemakers. Black and dark brown are much more common. But for whatever reason, almost every shoemaker will offer a tassel loafer in burgundy. Sometimes I wonder if it's the same factory in Spain making all the shoes...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    OK for some reason my replies keep disappearing into the ether (maybe it's because I put links into them?). For posterity, I went with some loafers from Yanko. Crownhill, Paul Evans, Loding, Herring, and Barker all made loafers that met my criteria, which were: burgundy penny loafer, no beefroll. These are surprisingly hard to find since most makers in the $300-$400 range only make black or dark brown loafers (plenty of burgundy tassel loafers for some reason though). The Loding Sulky 300 look the most like JM Westons, but I ended up going with a shoe that has a sleeker toe.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by karakumy View Post
    OK for some reason my replies keep disappearing into the ether (maybe it's because I put links into them?). For posterity, I went with some loafers from Yanko. Crownhill, Paul Evans, Loding, Herring, and Barker all made loafers that met my criteria, which were: burgundy penny loafer, no beefroll. These are surprisingly hard to find since most makers in the $300-$400 range only make black or dark brown loafers (plenty of burgundy tassel loafers for some reason though). The Loding Sulky 300 look the most like JM Westons, but I ended up going with a shoe that has a sleeker toe.
    Edit: I just realized you said you already purchased a pair, sorry about that. Hope you like them!
    I would definitely suggest the Allen Edmonds Cavanaugh. They can be found in burgundy, have a great sleek look (without looking too dressed up), and are very comfortable. You can find very gently worn pairs on EBay for an excellent price from dabondo (EBay seller that almost exclusively sells AE's). Brand new, I believe they'll run you about $350 and you can get them for half that price on EBay. The only noticeable difference I perceive in the two you linked and the Cavanaughs is that the Cavanaugh is not a split toe. Not sure if that's a deal breaker for you. Good luck!