Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work Trouser Overhaul

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Work Trouser Overhaul

All,

Need some direction on where to look for work trousers - I recently lost about 4-5" around the gut and so am in a position of needing to build from scratch with the lower-half work wardrobe...

Where are some of the best places to look for value/quality? I work in consulting and generally think wool slacks look the most professional so that may help in suggestions.

One place I've been looking is the current sale at Indochino... 5 pairs of trousers for $400 seems like a reasonable deal with them being $80/pop and somewhat customised...

Thank you all in advance!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Land's End Year rounders should be around $63 right now with 30% off.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    532 Post(s)
    I think with trousers you've got to go around and try them all. You need to find the brand or style that matches your look and size wise. It's taken me awhile to figure out nothing in BB or BR works for me. I found the best success in JCrew so far with the classic fit.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    732 Post(s)
    banana republic (if 100% wool), j crew, spier and mackay, howard yount, suitsupply

that's in ascending order of quality. also want to add don't be afraid to spend up on pants, wool pants last a long time, are low maintenance and you really don't need that many pairs (3-4). lastly, there are different weight wools for different seasons, so factor that in.
    Last edited by Scofield; August 31st, 2016 at 02:14 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    I really like the Bonobos Foundation trousers. Not at full price though, but on sale, well worth it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    I think with trousers you've got to go around and try them all. You need to find the brand or style that matches your look and size wise.
    This is great advice, because fit matters most. Find something that works and buy a couple pairs to start, and when you are sure that you like them you can wait for sales to expand your collection.
    Matt Dalton

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scofield View Post
    banana republic (if 100% wool), j crew, spier and mackay, howard yount, suitsupply

that's in ascending order of quality. also want to add don't be afraid to spend up on pants, wool pants last a long time, are low maintenance and you really don't need that many pairs (3-4). lastly, there are different weight wools for different seasons, so factor that in.
    This is interesting. I was under the impression that HY had higher quality trousers compared to Suitsupply. This was based on my readings online since I don't have any HY and my Suitsupply trousers are part of suits. What makes you say that SuSu is better?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doomx View Post
    This is interesting. I was under the impression that HY had higher quality trousers compared to Suitsupply. This was based on my readings online since I don't have any HY and my Suitsupply trousers are part of suits. What makes you say that SuSu is better?
    SS fits better (slimmer) for me so requires less tailoring. customer service is way better too, and free shipping/returns helps a lot. quality on HY i suppose is technically better and they have more of a variety of weights of wool...but SS has tropical, year round and flannel so you really don't need much more. for someone just starting to look around to upgrade i would definitely recommend SS over HY

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    I have one pair each of BR (dark charcoal, 100% wool) and J. Crew (medium gray, also 100% wool) and am thinking of taking a step up to the third rung in your ladder.

What do you think of these S&M's? http://www.spierandmackay.com/produc...t___final_sale

They're not pure wool, but my sense is that linen wouldn't reduce the quality of the garment in the way that a synthetic would. What do you think?

Am I right that it was you who told me a while back that SuitSupply is well worth the mark up from JC? Anyway, I've taken it to heart and am saving up for one of their light gray pants at some point!

Quote Originally Posted by Scofield View Post

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srlclark View Post
    I have one pair each of BR (dark charcoal, 100% wool) and J. Crew (medium gray, also 100% wool) and am thinking of taking a step up to the third rung in your ladder.

What do you think of these S&M's? http://www.spierandmackay.com/produc...t___final_sale

They're not pure wool, but my sense is that linen wouldn't reduce the quality of the garment in the way that a synthetic would. What do you think?

Am I right that it was you who told me a while back that SuitSupply is well worth the mark up from JC? Anyway, I've taken it to heart and am saving up for one of their light gray pants at some point!
    probably, that sounds like me lol. those look good if you like everything else about it, i wouldn't let the fabric composition stop me from buying that