Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resoling Boots with Different Soles

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

Resoling Boots with Different Soles

Hey All,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I just brought a pair of AE Long Branch Boots on eBay. The soles *look* fine ans I intend to get as much use out of them as possible. My question is once I decide to send them back to AE for re-crafting, can I specify a different sole to be put on? They have the Vibram Commando soles now but the Long Branch uppers are dressy enough that I would consider having them re-soled with a typical AE leather sole.

Thoughts on this? Possible/not possible?

Thanks!

-S

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    Definitely possible

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    I know the options for sole from AE can vary a bit depending on the shoe, but I think it's a good bet that you'll have some choices when you decide to do the recrafting.

Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2108 Post(s)
    If AE won't do it, an independent cobbler can.

If you want a sleeker sole, there is always the option of a Vibram/Dainite sole with a lower profile than the heavy duty lugs that, IIRC, come standard on the Long Branch.
    Ben

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    If you want a sleeker sole, there is always the option of a Vibram/Dainite sole with a lower profile than the heavy duty lugs that, IIRC, come standard on the Long Branch.
    That's exactly the type I was thinking when I posed this question. Dainite seems to provide grip while maintaining a low profile.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    188 Post(s)
    I've definitely read that the Long Branch can not take a vibram commando sole, but that was a while ago. Maybe they can do it now? I'm not sure. If you email AE, I'm sure they can tell you.

Keep in mind that there is a difference between the vibram gumlite lugged sole that comes with the Long Branch and a traditional hard rubber commando sole. Gumlite is very soft and comfortable and it does wear pretty well. I've had my pair of Long Branch boots for a couple years now. I wear them several times per week and they are just now getting to point where I'm thinking about resoling.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thedrake View Post
    If you email AE, I'm sure they can tell you.
    Definitely contact AE. I'd recommend giving them a call as in my experience they can be pretty slow responding via email. I asked them the same question a while back about mine as I was curious and I'm fairly sure they said that for an additional charge they can resole the shoe with any of their current sole offerings (leather, dainite, vibram etc.). I ended up selling mine instead as I realized I wore my other boots far more often.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    I've definitely read that the Long Branch can not take a vibram commando sole, but that was a while ago. Maybe they can do it now? I'm not sure. If you email AE, I'm sure they can tell you.

Keep in mind that there is a difference between the vibram gumlite lugged sole that comes with the Long Branch and a traditional hard rubber commando sole. Gumlite is very soft and comfortable and it does wear pretty well. I've had my pair of Long Branch boots for a couple years now. I wear them several times per week and they are just now getting to point where I'm thinking about resoling.
    Thanks for pointing out the difference between Commando and Gumlite. I looked and you are correct.

I will definitely contact them when I get the boots and decide whether to resole right away or wait (likely will wait).

Do you think the Long Branch could pass as a dress boot with a different sole?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    188 Post(s)
    @JamWithSam They work with a sport coat, but I would say they're too casual for a suit. I usually wear mine with a sweater, button down shirt, and jeans.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)
    @JamWithSam They work with a sport coat, but I would say they're too casual for a suit. I usually wear mine with a sweater, button down shirt, and jeans.
    Couldn't agree more. Adding a leather sole to them would help a little but IMO not enough to push them into the same realm as say, the First Avenue boot.