Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good shoes for walking

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    404 Post(s)

Good shoes for walking

I moved to Germany last year, and since then I have done a lot more walking, as I don't have a car. I easily walk 6-8 miles a day just going places. Does anyone have a suggestion for shoes that go with anything and won't wear out too fast?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    357 Post(s)
    Sleek suede chukkas or chelseas with a rubber sole. You can wear them with jeans all the way up to a suit if they are dressy enough.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    404 Post(s)
    Do you have a more specific suggestion? What should I look for qualitywise? There are a bunch of both chukkas and Chelseas out there and they all seem the same to me.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    357 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryn View Post
    Do you have a more specific suggestion?
    What would you be wearing these do-everything shoes with? Once you get into creased trousers territory, your choices get more limited.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    I'd aim for something with a Dainite sole. Far more durable than leather, and not as ugly as regular rubber soles.
    Here's an example of an AE strand with that sole: http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/me...le/SF6104.html

That said, AE's never fit me and I don't find them that comfortable. You might have more luck.

For rainy days you could consider a boot with mini-lug soles. (they look like this: http://www.danner.com/forest-heights-ii-piedmont.html - durable, but not as bulky as full lug boots).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    404 Post(s)
    I don't think I need anything so fancy. I think chukkas will be best for me. I am wondering if I should go for the crepe rubber, or if it made sense to get something more durable. I am trying to get the most value due to my limited budget.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    Can you specify what your limited budget is?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    169 Post(s)
    AE Wilbert is a pretty comfortable walking shoe. During sales they can be picked up from the Shoebank for under $200. Or you can check ebay for gently used pairs.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)
    Timberland Wodehouse Chukkas are comfortable for me. As are the Cap Toe Earthkeeper
    We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” ― Charles Bukowski

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    404 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by devastitis View Post
    Can you specify what your limited budget is?
    Good question. I still have to figure that out. What I am worried about though is buying something cheap, and paying for it in the long run, because it only lasts a quarter as long.