Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just Opened Up Shop -- Knot Tied Down -- Would Love Feedback!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewCPA View Post
    I really like your site and ties! Eager to see more inventory. I especially like the bow ties. Width doesn't bother me, although that's probably a place to expand at some point. Good luck with your venture.
    DrewCPA - Thanks for your comments! Inventory will be growing very soon. I'll be frank. I wasn't really into bow ties until we started Knot Tied Down. I thought they were really beyond me. But believe it or not, I'm wearing a bow tie to a wedding I have to go to tonight, and I have to say, I look pretty good...ha! Once you get the actual tying process down, they are really eye-catching. PM will be sent momentarily, thanks again!

Ryan

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    Change the background - that speckled thing makes me feel like my monitor is dirty. Cotton ties aren't my thing and these are not in my price range ($50-80) so the quality, size, looks just aren't there for me to even consider giving them a try, but tie your knots better, see if you can dimple them for the pics. Otherwise, pics look good.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    Hey, I went through your site and was impressed with the ties.
    The collection looks like a nice starting place for those wanting to start our collection without shelling out the $50-$80 that we don't have.

I am not a big fan of the bright colors of the tie bars. Are you looking at possibly going with some more muted varieties?

One last thing is the design of the site. While I like not having to go through every page, I think your first page can be cleaned up a bit.
    The brick wall reminds me of comedians in the 80's and is distracting from the product.
    The "A Tie Shop" seems a little bit redundant if your company is called Knot Tied Down and there are plenty of pictures of ties.

Take care and best of luck!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    Will you be bringing in regular white pocket squares, preferably with colored edges? I wouldn't mind picking up white pocket squares with the following colored edges: burgundy, grey, forest green, black (I already have a navy one, but you should offer that as well).

Also navy ties with polka dots in a variety of colors (light blue, white, grey, pink, etc) would be something I'd also be interested in.

For tie bars, matte tie bars and a tie bar in silver. Like the previous poster, they're a bit too bright for my tastes. Almost clownish.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    I completely agree with those that immediately thought "The Tie Bar", as the ties also remind me of those. It seems that you are competing on price. With respect to the idea of offering a smaller selection to make shopping quicker, in the Tie Bar's defense, in 2 clicks you can display all of their solid blue ties. Two more clicks and you have the width of your choice and the material.

All in all, it's good to have more competition in the market place. However, for me personally, I've moved away from both ties that are less than 3" wide, as well as ties that are on the lower-end. I also have little use for cotton ties. Good luck to your business and I wish you all the best.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    187 Post(s)
    I think you have some nice looking ties. The background is a little annoying, especially in close proximity to the merchandise pictures though.

Is the seersucker tie just a striped tie, or is there some actual pucker to the fabric? You might want a close up shot in any case.

I know this is not going to be popular with the Dappered audience, but I think you should raise your prices. With such a low price, I'm very skeptical about quality. Unfortunately, there is nothing on your site that addresses the quality of your ties. That's a huge red flag to me. If you do good work, then why not talk about it? Where are they made? What kind of lining do you use? How are they folded? There's no way I would buy any of your ties until I see lots of positive reviews. The fact that I have to pay for return shipping makes me even more skeptical.

I don't want to discourage you, but you might consider offering more information about your products to assure people that your ties won't fall apart after one or two wears. When a business doesn't volunteer information, then I assume the worst. For example, shoes that are made from "leather" are almost always corrected grain. If you use full grain leather, then you should say so. Some well established businesses can get away with not saying this because that information is easy to find elsewhere. Low cost doesn't equal value. Value is exceptional quality for the price level. I just need some assurance that you put as much effort into constructing your ties as you do in selecting them.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1 View Post
    I know this is not going to be popular with the Dappered audience, but I think you should raise your prices. With such a low price, I'm very skeptical about quality. Unfortunately, there is nothing on your site that addresses the quality of your ties. That's a huge red flag to me. If you do good work, then why not talk about it? Where are they made? What kind of lining do you use? How are they folded? There's no way I would buy any of your ties until I see lots of positive reviews. The fact that I have to pay for return shipping makes me even more skeptical.

I don't want to discourage you, but you might consider offering more information about your products to assure people that your ties won't fall apart after one or two wears. When a business doesn't volunteer information, then I assume the worst. For example, shoes that are made from "leather" are almost always corrected grain. If you use full grain leather, then you should say so. Some well established businesses can get away with not saying this because that information is easy to find elsewhere. Low cost doesn't equal value. Value is exceptional quality for the price level. I just need some assurance that you put as much effort into constructing your ties as you do in selecting them.
    I don't think there would be much to boast about in terms of quality of construction and materials if a tie can be sold for $12.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    187 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spex View Post
    I don't think there would be much to boast about in terms of quality of construction and materials if a tie can be sold for $12.
    I have to agree with you. If I bought a tie for $12 and it fell apart, draped poorly, or didn't tie a very nice knot, then I might complain, but there wouldn't be much sympathy. I bought a silk Lands End tie for about $25 IIRC and some of the threads have come undone after only a couple of wears. So, I know that cheap ties can be poor investments in the long term (as measured by cost per wear). My Lands End silk knitted tie is actually pretty nice, but it cost considerably more.

I just need enough objective product information to decide how these ties compare to any tie at the next price level (e.g., Tie Bar). Otherwise, Tie Bar is the absolute cheapest that I am willing to pay for a new tie. There are lots of cheap ties made in China and sold on Ebay. You have to have some quick way to filter out all the crap that is being sold out there, and the only way I know how to do it (without any other info) is to ignore any tie being sold for less than $20, with maybe used ties being the exception.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1 View Post
    I just need enough objective product information to decide how these ties compare to any tie at the next price level (e.g., Tie Bar).
    Right but most people searching for cheap ties in this price range on Google don't. Does it look like a tie? Is it not pre-tied? Is it cheap? Flashy? <$20? Buy.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    205 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knot Tied Down View Post
    Hi guys,

We'd love to get your thoughts on our recently opened tie shop: www.knottieddown.com. Positive or negative we'd love to hear it.
    The site is well laid out and easy to navigate.

The 2 inch lapel pins seem WAY too large for most people (the 1.5 inch are better, but still pushing it for me).

The tie-bars look like novelty items; I can't see anyone wearing them seriously or in a work environment.

As a non-everyday tie wearer, who prefers slimmer ties, I like the width, but don't have much use for or need of cotton ties; you mention Monday-Friday ties, and these all strike me as Friday or casual wedding ties, not something I'd wear for normal work day or more formal events. The knots in the photos look sloppy. How a tie knots up is one of its selling points, and these knots don't sell the tie.

At your price point, I'm a solid target, I don't normally spend money on ties because I wear them so infrequently, but that doesn't mean I want all my ties to be "fun." I like the patterns on the bow ties much more than the regular ties, but I'm not s big bow tie guy.

How are the ties constructed? I assume the worst without being told when they're $12 each.

The pocket squares are all a bit busy for me; I agree with the idea of color edged white squares being something to look at.

Not a personal fan of the English Laundry socks, but I did see them at Nordstrom Rack recently for more money than you're charging.

Shipping rates seem fair.
    Donít call what your wearing an outfit. Donít ever say your car is broke.
    Donít sing with a fake British accent. Donít act like your familyís a joke.
    --Jason Isbell