Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My orient mako usa gains about 20 sec a day, is this an acceptable range?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    737 Post(s)

My orient mako usa gains about 20 sec a day, is this an acceptable range?

It kinda bugs me, after a weekend it's off by a full minute...

Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1523 Post(s)
    I'd say that's a bit much. I'd take the watch in for service.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Quoted
    408 Post(s)
    The daily variation of +/- 20 seconds seems a bit high, and if the error is large and consistently positive then you probably have an issue. Worth taking to your local jeweler / watch store and having them demagnetize the watch and see if that fixes it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scofield View Post
    It kinda bugs me, after a weekend it's off by a full minute...
    Every Asian movement watch I've owned, which granted is only two - a Seiko 5 and a Miyota movement dive watch - gains about 5 minutes a week. Maybe I'm just getting unlucky but I'd love to see only 1 minute a week of gain. That would mean 4 minutes a month. I can deal being 4 minutes early and resetting once a month. At this point after a few days I'm 5 minutes early and have to reset.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    I have 2 Orient automatics - 1 is about 10 seconds fast per day, the 2nd is about 10 seconds slower per day.
    Such is life. I may have to get both serviced but they're both under 2 years old.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1158 Post(s)
    that seems a bit much. I have no idea what mine are though. I dont wear one watch long enough to really notice the gains. So the easy answer is just buy more watches

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    971 Post(s)
    I'd search over at WatchUSeek forums to get a better idea. I don't know what's acceptable spec for an orient mako (and query if different between original mako vs mako 2; I think the movement was upgraded). IMO, +20 isn't great, but also not so big that it's a sure sign that it's magnetized either, IMO. However, if it's really bothering you (sounds like it is), then I'd suggest going to a local repair guy vs. sending in for service (assuming Orient does that...? not sure personally). +20 should be in the range where they can just adjust the watch vs. having to truly repair it.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    394 Post(s)
    My new Orient Esteem only loses about 2 seconds/day, 20 sounds like a lot!

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1158 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    I'd search over at WatchUSeek forums to get a better idea. I don't know what's acceptable spec for an orient mako (and query if different between original mako vs mako 2; I think the movement was upgraded). IMO, +20 isn't great, but also not so big that it's a sure sign that it's magnetized either, IMO. However, if it's really bothering you (sounds like it is), then I'd suggest going to a local repair guy vs. sending in for service (assuming Orient does that...? not sure personally). +20 should be in the range where they can just adjust the watch vs. having to truly repair it.
    Correct, there was a movement upgrade from the original to the II so expectations might be different.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    583 Post(s)
    I have a pocketwatch made in 1887 that loses 2 seconds a day.

I also have a Seiko auto (SDN06 I think, green lil fella) that gains a couple minutes a week.

I don't really utilize the former very frequently, and thankfully my association with the AF Reserves (instead of "regular" active duty) and my actual duty location means the margin of error isn't that big a deal (punctuality isn't too big an issue, and if there's a meeting important enough that I have to attend, there's plenty of other people going around me so we all just kinda get up and go at the same time). plus there's clocks on everyone's computer, so....no biggie.