Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J.Crew - the end is near?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)

J.Crew - the end is near?

Once in a while I wander into a local T.J.Maxx and check out the clearance racks - I usually don't find anything, but I get lucky a couple of times a year. This weekend, I saw something I've never seen before - J.Crew stuff in the store - and not just J.Crew, but Wallace and Barnes! If J.Crew is dumping stock at T.J.Maxx - seems like a bad sign...
    Mark

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    damn id love to find some of that wallace and barnes stuff in there!

I dont know that i agree with everyone saying jcrew is in trouble or done. I honestly think they are an excellent source for clothes. I wont pay full price, but i love a lot of their offerings when the sales hit.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    I am taking a tangent for an old man rant.

J. Crew and the Gap family of stores (among others) have trained us to never pay full price for anything, and now they are stuck. If they would just offer the clothes at reasonable prices to begin with, they would not need to have this never-ending stream of sales. I am old enough to remember when you could get good quality clothes from J. Crew at reasonable prices. Every. Day. Sales were just to clear out seasonal items. Of course, this was before e-commerce (and an extensive retail network) when you had to call the 800 number to buy from them.

JC Penney found itself in a similar situation a few years ago when they tried to wean customers off the weekly sales in favor of lower prices every day, and it didnít go so well for them (or the then CEO). So, I wonder if a change in strategy would work for these companies.

Rant complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    Iíve seen mainline Brooks Brothers, Todd Snyder, BR, J Crew etc at TJMaxx and Marshalls for years. The quality/brand of the items seem to be region specific. I live in OH, and rarely see those brands at home. When I visit S. FL I make a point to hit these stores because they seem to generally have better items/brands.

I donít see this as a significant sign of trouble.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    J Crew is under a huge mountain of debt. They have more serious problems than where they sell their merchandise. It wouldn't be a shock to see them go under one of these days.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)
    J. Crew, carries a debt load exceeding $1.7 billion, but I don't know if that has anything to do with their clothes being sold at T.J.'s.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caktaylor View Post

J. Crew and the Gap family of stores (among others) have trained us to never pay full price for anything, and now they are stuck. If they would just offer the clothes at reasonable prices to begin with, they would not need to have this never-ending stream of sales. I am old enough to remember when you could get good quality clothes from J. Crew at reasonable prices. Every. Day. Sales were just to clear out seasonal items. Of course, this was before e-commerce (and an extensive retail network) when you had to call the 800 number to buy from them.

JC Penney found itself in a similar situation a few years ago when they tried to wean customers off the weekly sales in favor of lower prices every day, and it didn’t go so well for them (or the then CEO). So, I wonder if a change in strategy would work for these companies.

Rant complete.

for me, it is not the fact that a sale would make them cheaper, its about a sale making them in my price range. I just cant part with 70 - 80 for a pair of chinos or shorts etc.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1066 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caktaylor View Post

JC Penney found itself in a similar situation a few years ago when they tried to wean customers off the weekly sales in favor of lower prices every day, and it didnít go so well for them (or the then CEO). So, I wonder if a change in strategy would work for these companies.

Rant complete.

They didn't cause the behavior or expectation. Shoppers in the price range don't buy full price. Studies have been done and they are interesting. Higher prices clothing does well at consistent prices. Value branded clothing only moves on sales. It's not about the prices themselves it's about the mentality of the customer base.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    620 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.C View Post
    rarely see those brands at home.
    TJ Maxx homegoods and marshalls all have a store tiering scheme, where stores in the higher prices markets get the most expensive merchandise. i think there are 3 tiers but I could be wrong. it's purely based on the perceived customer of the store, And their ability to purchase something impulsively for a reasonably good price.

Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Quoted
    550 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    They didn't cause the behavior or expectation. Shoppers in the price range don't buy full price. Studies have been done and they are interesting. Higher prices clothing does well at consistent prices. Value branded clothing only moves on sales. It's not about the prices themselves it's about the mentality of the customer base.

Also, not everyone knows about the constant sales. If you get a tourist walking through a mall, they may pay full price. Or the person who goes out to buy new clothes once a year, etc. If there's no sale running BR just got them to pay full price. It's a win/win situation for them when combined with the mentality described above for the customers who wait for sales.