Thread: Watch Question

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)

Watch Question

While cleaning through an old drawer I came across an old watch.

It is a Seiko A 829 - 600A. Searching online I came across one video of the watch done in 2013. A similar model which seems more common is the A 829 - 6019.

The watch, at least the 829 - 6019, was nicknamed the "astronaut" as it was the "unofficial" watch worn by many astronauts during NASA space missions in the early 1980's.

The watch has not been worn in many years. I brought it to a local Jared Jewelers to get the battery changed but their watch repair guy says he couldn't do it, he would have to send it out and the battery replacement would be around $85.

I was considering sending it to the Seiko repair center in NJ but the online reviews are horrible.

Any advice?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)
    Not a quartz but I recently sent my Turtle to the Seiko repair center and the process was flawless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    $85 seems extreme for a battery replacement. We are fortunate in the small city where I live to have an elderly gentleman who is the watch repairman at a local jeweler. He was once a certified railroad watch repairman. I have taken many watches to him, most of them "vintage", both mechanical and quartz. Usual cost to replace a battery is $10.00. Your Jared guy sounds like the folks at Wal-Mart who will not replace a battery on anything above a Timex.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExFed View Post
    $85 seems extreme for a battery replacement. We are fortunate in the small city where I live to have an elderly gentleman who is the watch repairman at a local jeweler. He was once a certified railroad watch repairman. I have taken many watches to him, most of them "vintage", both mechanical and quartz. Usual cost to replace a battery is $10.00. Your Jared guy sounds like the folks at Wal-Mart who will not replace a battery on anything above a Timex.

I agree. Which is why I was looking for suggestions.

I also had a Timex Ironman i brought in which he quickly changed the battery. Cost was $10.

He mentioned something about that he wouldn't be able to get the back off the Seiko.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Surely in New York there is a local jeweler/dealer/shop that sells/repairs/services Seikos and has the tool to take the back off in order to replace the battery.

Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2108 Post(s)
    Sometimes when people tell you they'll do work for exorbitant prices, they are really just telling you they don't want the work. My guess is the guy doesn't want to mess with what is basically an antique electronic.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    OP, look for a store specializing in watches. Jared want to sell diamonds. Seiko is big enough that any competent person in a watch store should be able to open and replace the battery. Ok, maybe not a full service, but getting the back off, and changing a battery, looking at the gaskets, that should be easy enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk