Thread: inexpensive watch suggestions for wife

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)

inexpensive watch suggestions for wife

Hey folks, my wife has finally come around and admitted that she could benefit by wearing a watch again. For whatever reason(s), she wants something (really) inexpensive, like around $15 USD. I think if I can show examples of something of better quality then she would take the bait. Maybe around $40 USD?

Her preferences are: quartz movement, white (or light coloured neutral) face, no black case or strap, no metal bracelet, any water resistance would be a plus, not "sporty" looking. She's looking for something simple and versatile that can be worn with as many things as possible. Maybe that sounds too vague?

I looked at amazon at a bunch of Casios but none jumped out at her. I suggested a women's Timex Weekender but she wasn't interested in that look.

Any advice or suggestions?

I am secretly hoping she gets bit by the watch bug and shows further interest

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1360 Post(s)
    Swatch.

Reliable quartz movement. Nice variety of colours. Should fit your price point of $40 USD. Good gateway drug.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    382 Post(s)
    Perhaps try the Timex Metropolitan 34mm and if she likes that size, pitch the Timex Marlin rose gold's hand winding mechanism as being the eco-friendly version?

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    333 Post(s)
    Check out Nordstrom rack in store or online. They always have lots of quartz watches in stock. Might find one that catches your/her eye that checks off all the boxes. There was a 34mm Tissot quartz online a few days back marked down to $35, but it sold out before I could get to the checkout process.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amesbury View Post
    I am secretly hoping she gets bit by the watch bug and shows further interest
    I cannot overstate this: No. No you do not want that... If that happens, your wallet will take a hit, and she will always be wearing the watch you wanted to wear that day, because she "loves the way a NATO goes with her outfit that day..."

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    Thanks everyone! I should have enough information to find something acceptable.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.C View Post
    I cannot overstate this: No. No you do not want that... If that happens, your wallet will take a hit, and she will always be wearing the watch you wanted to wear that day, because she "loves the way a NATO goes with her outfit that day..."
    I'll roll the dice on that one.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amesbury View Post
    I'll roll the dice on that one.
    Full disclosure: I might have been reliving my own experience a bit too vividly. Fortunately it all changed when I bought her an Applewatch.