Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Problem with Allen Edmonds--or is a problem with me?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    660 Post(s)

The Problem with Allen Edmonds--or is a problem with me?

Jeez, I've been on a shoe buying spree the last month or so. Mostly vintage stuff, two pairs of Florsheim vcleats--one is shell--a pair of Nettletons from the 80's, and several others--plus a nice almost new pair of Crockett and Jones loafers that I got for a steal. I've got at least 10 pairs sitting here in my home office because there's not room in my closet with the other 40 or so pairs.

I got busy at work and let a pair of Allen Edmonds unworn Jefferson's in walnut go for $68 on ebay--broke my heart.

But anyways, just when I swear I will never buy another pair of AE shoes because I have way too many AE shoes and I want some others--they put on a sale like this--shell cordovan loafers for $375? Not factory seconds?

Crap--I'm going to resist.

I hope. I work too much. Then I drink too much. Then I buy too many shoes.

https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...efv1=12%7C12.5

Long Branch boots for $160?

https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...&start=1&sz=54

AE needs to stop with these crazy sales.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    If you're filling a hole in your wardrobe and you happen upon a sale that's one thing... Buying just because there's a sale? That's different.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    Personally I found that once I got past a certain # of pairs of shoes, the allure of buying something just because it's a good deal went away. I also think that since shoes are a serious hobby for you, you should look around at the various makers more and see exactly what you like best as far as style, fit, and cost. For most people they don't want to spend too much on shoes but still want something decent so AE fits the bill and they have like 3 pairs of shoes that suits their needs, but if you're going to be dropping thousands or even tens of thousands on shoes then you have a lot more options and should buy the things you like best rather than the things that are the best deals. If the answer to that question is AE then great, but who knows you might find another maker out there that you prefer to AE, and in that case it might be better to have 10 pairs from that maker than 50 pairs from AE.

I started out with like 5-10 pairs of AE because I got them as "great" deals but then later found out I prefer other brands that for me personally fit better and look better, so ended up selling most of them. These days I've seen brand new AE 1sts for <$100 which is a great deal for what it is, but I have no desire to buy them because they'd never make it into my rotation.

More generally I think it's a journey that most people go through where when you're starting out you don't haven't nailed down your style and exactly what you like, so the notion that something is great bang for buck or a great deal kind of helps fill that gap (and make it lower cost / risk to try something), but as you go on your closet gets more full, you figure out what your style is and exactly what you like, then it becomes more about buying what you like and less buying something because it's a good deal.
    Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    565 Post(s)
    I just bought blue cornwallis off the bank and got em yesterday.

I'm of no assistance here

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    565 Post(s)
    Oh didja hear chili shell is a standard option for strand dalton higgins and park ave now?

Sorry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    I can very much relate to this (the buying too many shoes part, not the working too much or drinking too much). A couple of things that may or may not be helpful: I am trying to justify new purchases before I make them. It's easier if it's a replacement purchase (needed something waterproof), or a special circumstance (I bought a pair of Paraboot loafers in Paris because they don't sell them online). Second, I have been selling off things that I no longer wear or shouldn't have bought in the first place. That helps to bring a little more balance to my assortment.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    284 Post(s)
    I have the Patriots in brown shell. Picked them up as seconds for about the same price. I love them and you are seriously tempting me to pick up the burgundy pair, but they would be redundant with my Aldens. 😬

Luckily, I took a deep breath and reminded myself that I am not buying clothes or shoes this year. Only 10 1/2 more months to go!

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    660 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    If you're filling a hole in your wardrobe and you happen upon a sale that's one thing... Buying just because there's a sale? That's different.
    You're right. But I can always find a hole. I have suede blue tassel loafers. I have black and burgundy tassel loafers. I have chili kilted tassel loafers (but for wearing inside only). I have walnut and brown penny loafers. I have blue driving loafers. I have new old stock vintage burgundy loafers made by Wright (for inside only).

But I don't have BURGUNDY SHELL PENNY LOAFERS!

Also, I don't have walnut full-brogue oxford wingtips. Yes, I have walnut full brogue derbies, but that's not the same as oxfords. See, those Jeffersons are calling my name!

But even though I can find holes, I want some different brands. I'd like some Aldens, Carmina, and St. Crispin shoes.

I'm an idiot sucker for a 50% off or more sale.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    660 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    Personally I found that once I got past a certain # of pairs of shoes, the allure of buying something just because it's a good deal went away. I also think that since shoes are a serious hobby for you, you should look around at the various makers more and see exactly what you like best as far as style, fit, and cost. For most people they don't want to spend too much on shoes but still want something decent so AE fits the bill and they have like 3 pairs of shoes that suits their needs, but if you're going to be dropping thousands or even tens of thousands on shoes then you have a lot more options and should buy the things you like best rather than the things that are the best deals. If the answer to that question is AE then great, but who knows you might find another maker out there that you prefer to AE, and in that case it might be better to have 10 pairs from that maker than 50 pairs from AE.

I started out with like 5-10 pairs of AE because I got them as "great" deals but then later found out I prefer other brands that for me personally fit better and look better, so ended up selling most of them. These days I've seen brand new AE 1sts for <$100 which is a great deal for what it is, but I have no desire to buy them because they'd never make it into my rotation.

More generally I think it's a journey that most people go through where when you're starting out you don't haven't nailed down your style and exactly what you like, so the notion that something is great bang for buck or a great deal kind of helps fill that gap (and make it lower cost / risk to try something), but as you go on your closet gets more full, you figure out what your style is and exactly what you like, then it becomes more about buying what you like and less buying something because it's a good deal.
    Yes, you're reading my mind. Of course you're 100% correct.

I would like to replace some of my AE, Jack Erwin, and Frye shoes/boots I already have with Carmina, Alden, St. Crispin, Church's, and G&G, for examples.

I've never had a retail problem before I bought my first pair of Allen Edmonds shoes a couple of years ago. But now I can't seem to stop.

And that's the problem with Allen Edmonds. Or is it a problem with me?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    660 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    I just bought blue cornwallis off the bank and got em yesterday.

I'm of no assistance here
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    Oh didja hear chili shell is a standard option for strand dalton higgins and park ave now?

Sorry.
    You're evil, but you're making me laugh.