Page 440 of 452 FirstFirst ... 340390430438439440441442450 ... LastLast
Results 4,391 to 4,400 of 4512

Thread: What watch I wore today

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2051 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmacgas View Post
    Yeah even in the past year the price seems to have gone up $1000 or so for a SS sub. Do you think theyre going to come back down soon?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    I don't see how they can until buyers get so turned off by the shortage and the high prices that they lose interest in the watches altogether.

The shortage is driven by several factors. The main ones include an ever-growing middle- and upper-class in the Mid East and Asia that is increasingly interested in, and able to afford, these kinds of traditional Western status symbol purchases; and the inherent limitations on Rolex's production capacity, which is highly vertically integrated and owns all its own production facilities, meaning that they either need to undertake huge investment in the form of building new manufacturing infrastructure, or else outsource some elements of production, which would be antithetical to everything the brand has done in recent decades.

Recently the president of Patek Philippe - a company that is facing a similar issue of shortages of stainless steel pieces - acknowledged in an interview that Patek has been actively shutting down authorized dealers basically to try to shore up stock at the remaining dealers. Many observers have anecdotally noted Rolex seeming to do the same thing and cutting ties with numerous former ADs. The Patek president also offered basically his defense for the brand's refusal to increase its production to meet the demand, and I'm sure certain similar sentiments exist over at Rolex HQ.

The only answer to the shortage is for either more watches or fewer buyers, and privately-owned luxury brands like these are unlikely to do the former due to risk of brand dilution.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    Yeah I guess it's super hard to speculate which way it'll go. It's definitely a super luxury item and I can see demand taking a hit if markets go down, but with the limited supply, desirability and name recognition I would bet it keeps rising in the long run. I just really like the sub and hope to get one as a keeper watch, but don't see prices coming down significantly in the next year or two. Sucks that the exact same watch was 1/4th the money 10 years ago, but I think now if you want one in the collection you pretty much just have to pay the price

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    And you know the strange thing is, I hate that people who don't know watches would recognize a Sub as a Rolex and a 'status symbol'. I like having watches that are more discrete (I almost never wear on bracelet even, almost all natos) and people don't even realize they might be expensive unless they're into watches themselves

Last edited by halfmacgas; August 19th, 2019 at 01:06 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Amidst the discussion of Rolex and the beautiful pics of the JLC is my humble Casio Duro. After a satisfying day on the lake, I’m now jamming to some groovy tunes while my wife puts our daughter down for the night. Cheers gentleman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    560 Post(s)
    And you know the strange thing is, I hate the people who don't know watches would recognize a Sub as a Rolex and a 'status symbol'. I like having watches that are more discrete (I almost never wear on bracelet even, almost all natos) and people don't even realize they might be expensive unless they're into watches themselves

The supply isn't that limited. It's just that the demand went way up. The Kermit and hulk used to sit on shelves and could be had below msrp until a few years ago. The only one that's ever been very limited is the Daytona. It'll equalize at some point.

Anyways, what you stated is one of the reasons I like JLC. They make their own movements (and ones for lots of other brands as well) but unless you know watches they will fly under the radar.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)
    Invicta

Last edited by Shade; August 19th, 2019 at 01:58 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    Super interesting discussion speculating on future value of 5 digit submariner back when the SubC first came out.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=243084

Also, I apologize, I didn't mean to hijack the thread saw a local ad for a Sub and just wanted see if anyone here knew if it seemed like a fair price

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    560 Post(s)
    Super interesting discussion speculating on future value of 5 digit submariner back when the SubC first came out.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=243084

Also, I apologize, I didn't mean to hijack the thread saw a local ad for a Sub and just wanted see if anyone here knew if it seemed like a fair price

It's interesting seeing this in that thread:

'Just keep in mind Rolex is making A LOT of watches per year and have been for a very long time. So the word 'rare' is very relative.'

Like I said, the supply has always been there. It's just that the demand has gone crazy the last few years. Although if you notice you see a lot more AP Royal Oaks and Pateks on celebrities now. People always want something bigger and more exclusive. The upper class are now going after even more higher end watches now while the middle class is eating up all Rolex supply.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    100 Post(s)
    im a sucka for bright and clear lume

Stowa Flieger classic 40