Page 238 of 238 FirstFirst ... 138188228236237238
Results 2,371 to 2,378 of 2378

Thread: What watch I wore today

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    Ooh, that Blancpain is fancy. I should look at a big date watch as reading glasses are in my future.

Iím trying my dapper watch guy pose with the Undone chronograph in green. There is a red dial version one of this on WatchRecon for $120, and I canít think of a reason not to buy it.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quoted
    430 Post(s)
    Sinn 103 today on a Colareb strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
    Ooh, that Blancpain is fancy. I should look at a big date watch as reading glasses are in my future.

Iím trying my dapper watch guy pose with the Undone chronograph in green. There is a red dial version one of this on WatchRecon for $120, and I canít think of a reason not to buy it.

I love the color and retro aesthetics of that watch.

The most fun thing about that Blancpain Villeret Grande Date is that is dresses up as well as down. Something about the large date allows it to easily become casual if paired with the right outfit. But it slides under a suit just as well.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Quoted
    895 Post(s)

Running errands today. Went with the Seiko.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    97 Post(s)

Weekend beater

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quoted
    430 Post(s)
    Working from home. Went with the IWC today.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Ref number?

Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post

All this Omega talk made me break out the Speedmaster for a change. I do love this watch.

@DocDave Really love your speedy, do you know the ref number? is it a 1990 3570.50? I especially like the yellow indices, having a hard time finding it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

What watch I wore today

Vintage Vostok Amphibia circa 1967. New strap.

A new acquisition. Been looking for this one for awhile now...

This is the original version of the popular and somewhat iconic, at least among Russian watch collectors, Vostok Amphibia. Newer versions are a great hardy automatic dive watch of great value. It is not uncommon to find later editions for dirt cheap. This one being from the original production year was considerably more pricey for a Vostok Amphibia...

The younger versions of this watch can take an incredible beating and keep on ticking. The crown might be rickety and the bezel sticky, but they keep great time! More recent versions can be picked up for under $50. True Soviet watchmaking ingenuity at its best.

This watch being a first edition is from the 60s and was made especially for Soviet Red Navy divers. It was not available to the public. It is the watch that started this lineage. It has wire lugs for it would sit flush against bulky dive suits of the era. The later versions didnít have these wire lugs.

This watch has some interesting history.

Back in the 60s the USSR could not afford or have the tech to produce on a mass scale dive watches with the methods being used by the Swiss industry. Watches such as Blancpainís 50 Fathoms and the Rolex Submariner used considerably more complex means of generating a watertight seal.

So Vostok borrowed ideas used in the Soviet space program in creating simple and reliable dynamic seals. The Amphibia is the embodiment of possibly the most simple concept for creating a watertight case. The basic principle is to use the outside pressure to create the seal needed to prevent water from entering the case. The further the case sinks, the higher the outside pressure, the higher pressure is exerted on the case, creating a dynamically tighter seal. This original edition watch is rated to 200m. Later versions to 300m.

The watch also became popular above the water. It became a go to watch for the Soviet space program in the 1970s.

Last edited by Publius; Today at 07:32 AM.