Page 104 of 495 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154204 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 4945

Thread: What watch I wore today

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    971 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    It's a blue dial. We compared it to my FIL's Submariner of the same vintage, and while I forget which of the two it was, one watches blue dial was turning a more purple hue compared to the other. I actually looked pretty good with the dial slightly purple. I will put some shots up either prior or after service...don't know when I will see it next.
    I also like the slightly purple with age look. Research more before sending in, but if you want to retain the value and/or look of the vintage aesthetic, you may need to give specific instruction to the RSC about not replacing dials, lume, hands, date wheels, etc. when they do a service. I wasn't paying particular attention at the time I was reading, but I think you can find some horror stories about people who lost great dial/lume/etc. when servicing.

Again, I'm not an expert. I did, however, remember the guy's name who is known for restoring old bracelets to useful life: Michael Young out of HK.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)
    Someday I will figure out how to take decent quality iphone pictures...
    Duncan

I know my username is dumb; blame 12 year old me.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)

Hamilton Intramatic 38mm on B&R Bands honey gator band.

The honey gator is almost a perfect match to my AE walnut Warwicks. The lighting of the picture throws it off a little, but in real life, it's very close.

I love the watch on the stock black band, but I rarely wear black, so I bought some brown bands to liven it up and give it more wrist time.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    My curiosity got the better of me. I ordered one of those direct-from-China $25 automatic watches to see what it was like. Actually pleasantly surprised. Movement looks very similar to my Seiko 5 minus the day complication, even has a similar looking rotor.

Pros: small and slim case size, hand-winding, actually has a decent power reserve (!), blue color is good, dial has some sunburst texture
    Cons: pretty sure case isn't actually steel, no water resistance, date window doesn't look that good.

Bears an ever-so-slight resemblance to the Seamaster "Aqua Terra."

Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2142 Post(s)
    I bought a few of those Chinese cheapies back in the day... every single one was sufficiently defective enough to be essentially DOA. (An Aqua Terra homage with a cracked crystal; an MM homage that fogged up after one day of wear and no exposure to water; and a Sub homage whose movement was broken in some fashion that I don't even remember anymore.)
    Ben

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1158 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I bought a few of those Chinese cheapies back in the day... every single one was sufficiently defective enough to be essentially DOA. (An Aqua Terra homage with a cracked crystal; an MM homage that fogged up after one day of wear and no exposure to water; and a Sub homage whose movement was broken in some fashion that I don't even remember anymore.)
    dude...your post man sucks. I mean, they arent great watches but I ordered a $3 chinese watch and it still works. I was going to take it apart and test my tools and got impatient waiting on it to arrive. ended up just going right at my mod project. So when it got here I opened it, said wow, looks like crap, and it has been knocking around my drawer for over a year. still worked a couple of months ago. I will take a timex expedition over a cheap chinese auto any day but they usually work. HUGE thread of under $20 success stories on WUS.

Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2142 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    dude...your post man sucks. I mean, they arent great watches but I ordered a $3 chinese watch and it still works. I was going to take it apart and test my tools and got impatient waiting on it to arrive. ended up just going right at my mod project. So when it got here I opened it, said wow, looks like crap, and it has been knocking around my drawer for over a year. still worked a couple of months ago. I will take a timex expedition over a cheap chinese auto any day but they usually work. HUGE thread of under $20 success stories on WUS.
    The postman didn't install a warped, cracked crystal into one watch or magically remove the water resistance of another. (IIRC I opened the MM homage up after it fogged and it did not even have a gasket installed.) I guess it's possible the movement issues with the third may have been caused by improper handling, but I've bought and sold and shipped and received a LOT of mechanical watches without any movement issues, so either way it speaks to the quality/robustness (or lack hereof) of the watch.

*shrug*
    Ben

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1158 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    The postman didn't install a warped, cracked crystal into one watch or magically remove the water resistance of another. (IIRC I opened the MM homage up after it fogged and it did not even have a gasket installed.) I guess it's possible the movement issues with the third may have been caused by improper handling, but I've bought and sold and shipped and received a LOT of mechanical watches without any movement issues, so either way it speaks to the quality/robustness (or lack hereof) of the watch.

*shrug*
    My comment was somewhat tongue in cheek. The crystal... Yeah, that dumb. The water resistance.... Ha. You have to assume there is none regardless of what they say. It's the white castle of burgers. Too crappy for many. I was just saying, if you burger didn't come with meat on it there are bigger issues.

Yeah, they aren't great watches but if you are particular about which ones you buy and where from then you may get a little cheap fun out of the deal. Please, no hooker analogies.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Alright I didn't mean to open the door to Chinese watch hate. Back to the regular stuff. Seiko 5 pilot watch on a random "I bought it off amazon for $10" strap because I don't like the bracelet:

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1523 Post(s)
    @Paddington nice looking Hamilton. And I agree with you. The colour of the watch band works great.