17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    170 Post(s)

Brooks Brothers to make medical-grade masks and gowns

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)
    Are they the non-iron kind or the regular kind? In all seriousness, I really appreciate this, and other manufacturers that have taken the initiative to do similar things without being ordered to do so. Definitely taking note and will be supporting brands like this even more after this passes.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    678 Post(s)
    But will they have the Brooks Brothers logo?
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2144 Post(s)
    Need that golden fleece to go with my outfits.
    Ben

The land where squirrels work office jobs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    not n95s...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    146 Post(s)
    Will I be able to find the 365 line of masks in outlet malls near me? Can't afford mainline BB.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flatbear View Post
    not n95s...
    There's always that one guy........

Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2144 Post(s)
    There's still need for non-medical grade masks. I think the N95 masks are to try to prevent the wearer from getting the virus - other masks are still helpful for regular folk who want to prevent inadvertently spreading it if they are asymptomatic carriers. And if the regular folks are using the non-medical grade masks that theoretically frees up more medical grade masks for the people who need them.
    Ben

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    170 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kongmw View Post
    Will I be able to find the 365 line of masks in outlet malls near me? Can't afford mainline BB.
    It's 346, after the address on Madison. But, ahem, I wouldn't know about malls.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    177 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    There's still need for non-medical grade masks. I think the N95 masks are to try to prevent the wearer from getting the virus - other masks are still helpful for regular folk who want to prevent inadvertently spreading it if they are asymptomatic carriers. And if the regular folks are using the non-medical grade masks that theoretically frees up more medical grade masks for the people who need them.
    Correct. N95 masks will stop 95 per cent of particles greater than 0.3 microns in size. This won't stop individual viruses at 0.125 microns but it will stop the aerosolized droplets expelled by a cough which are how SARS-CoV-2 is primarily transmitted (assuming the respirator is worn tightly enough to create a seal). They're primarily needed to protect the uninfected in close proximity to the infected, which is to say health care workers. Trouble is that they're difficult and expensive to manufacture to certified standards.

N95 are also a poor choice for patients to wear long-term because they're uncomfortable (even painful or damaging if you have thin skin as most elderly people do), and make it hard to breathe (bad for someone with a respiratory infection).

Surgical masks are looser fitting, and won't stop aerosols. They will protect the wearer from large droplets, sprays or splashes, but don't reliably filter inhaled air. They are better at catching exhalation, so are best worn by those worried about infecting others (patients, and potentially infected but asymptomatic health care workers).

A non-medical-grade cloth mask is even less protection for the wearer, but may reduce the chance the wearer will spread an infection. It therefore can be a useful supplementary measure to flatten the curve. That is, if the wearer isn't constantly fiddling with it and contaminating their hands, and doesn't think a mask is a substitute for handwashing and physical distancing.