Page 42 of 475 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast

Thread: What watch I wore today

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1457 Post(s)

Back with the Speedy.

@LesserBlackDog couple of questions. Why did you bleach the bezel? And how did you go about doing it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2081 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post

Back with the Speedy.

@LesserBlackDog couple of questions. Why did you bleach the bezel? And how did you go about doing it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1. To get a more uniformly vintage look (the dial is a "tropical" brownish charcoal grey and the lume is "old radium" orange so the fresh black bezel looks a bit off to me). Plus it just wasn't a high risk thing - even if I totally effed up the bezel insert, I could buy a new one direct from Steinhart for like $15.

2. Most people will remove the bezel and bleach, or even just buy a separate bezel to bleach and swap them, but I was too lazy for that so I copied the method shown below:

Last edited by LesserBlackDog; September 2nd, 2016 at 01:28 PM.
    Ben

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just got a package of new Natos for my old Seamaster. Thought I'd annoy my coworkers today.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1457 Post(s)
    And each time I see @mongoose and his watch I'm tempted to pull the trigger on a nice used one...

@LesserBlackDog thanks for the explanation.
    Last edited by DocDave; September 2nd, 2016 at 04:51 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    205 Post(s)
    Seiko 5 today....

Donít call what your wearing an outfit. Donít ever say your car is broke.
    Donít sing with a fake British accent. Donít act like your familyís a joke.
    --Jason Isbell

Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2081 Post(s)
    Steinhart OOV again. I did a second round of bleaching and the bezel is now slightly lighter than the dial (though it doesn't show super well in photos). Very happy with these results. Now I need to get some scuffs on this thing to age it up!

Ben

TMann
    Been looking for a dress watch for a bit, and I finally settled on this one. I have it on a mesh strap, but I also have the original black leather strap for the (very) rare occasion when I might need to be in a tuxedo. The watch is listed as being 40mm wide, but it wear fairly small; the side of the watch slope in on the front, so the watch face is smaller than 40mm. It's not super-thin, but it's not chunky either.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)
    @LesserBlackDog Really digging the end results! Glad you're enjoying the new watch.

@TMann Visodate is a real stunner and kudos to the lighting for the wrist shot. My skills with the camera start and end with clicking a button.

Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2081 Post(s)
    Thanks @Rawfull

Another pic to show off the bezel contrast....

Ben

TMann
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawfull
    @TMann...kudos to the lighting for the wrist shot. My skills with the camera start and end with clicking a button.
    It really wasn't anything that fancy. I was driving around yesterday evening and noticed that the sunshine was creating some interesting lighting effects in the car and on my watch. I stopped the car, rotated my wrist around to minimize the reflections in the crystal and took a picture with my phone camera. My camera phone allows some simple editing, so I cropped the picture and added a "vignette" effect (darkening of the corners of the photo to emphasize the center portion.) Simple.

Really, the most difficult part of taking photos with a cellphone camera is just making sure that the subject is in focus. It's frustrating to take a photo of another person or oneself, and then find out later that the camera focused on the trees in the background and the subjects face is out-of-focus.
    Last edited by TMann; September 3rd, 2016 at 03:11 PM.