Page 112 of 469 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122162212 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 4682

Thread: What watch I wore today

  1. #1111
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Honestly not sure why anyone would think winding a watch is a hassle. My brother missed winding his Nomos so much after he sold it that he ended up buying a Speedmaster in part just for the hand-winding. I frankly give a few winds to most of my automatic watches when I put them on, just to make sure they've got enough oomph in case I'm about to go sit at a desk for a while or something.
    Should be a good entry level watch for me__was also looking at the 510 and 560 with 8 days power reserve. I've never wound one before so we will see. I'm sure I will forget some days

  2. #1112
    TMann
    Guest
    For a while now, I've been looking to become a one-watch kind of guy (not including an extra beater watch and an occasional-use dress watch.) I think that I may have finally found my one and only. It's a Tag Heuer Aquaracer from 2010 or so. It's about 41mm in width and is fairly thin. It's a quartz...but I've decided that I actually prefer that type of movement for a watch that gets daily use. The style matches well with my main mode of dress (smart casual.) And the Tag Heuer brand is just exclusive enough to make it stand out in a sea of Casios, Seikos and fashion brands.

    I'm sure that I'll change my mind in a few months, but for the time being this is "The One":



  3. #1113
    Super Moderator DocDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    3,785
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1436 Post(s)
    Wow @TMann. So if you're going to a one watch kinda guy, what are you going to do with the other watches in your collection? I seem to recall you have some nice pieces. Thinking of selling?

  4. #1114
    TMann
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Wow @TMann. So if you're going to a one watch kinda guy, what are you going to do with the other watches in your collection? I seem to recall you have some nice pieces. Thinking of selling?
    I've actually already sold off most of them. (They helped to finance the Aquaracer.) I'm down to the Tag, a Citizen diver, an old Seiko dress watch that my folks got me back in high school and a couple of inexpensive Timex's.

  5. #1115
    Super Moderator DocDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    3,785
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1436 Post(s)
    @TMann Ah. Out of curiosity, did you sell them via private sale, or through the store? And I can't believe you sold that gorgeous Speedmaster!

  6. #1116
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    958
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quoted
    381 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GinghamKing View Post
    Thank you all for your help. After much consideration and research I opted for the classic PAM000 , it's a 2015 model so still very new and got it for a great price. It's got a 56h power reserve so will have to wind every other day, but excited about the purchase. Will post photos next week
    Congrats on the purchase and hope you enjoy, looking forward photos!

  7. #1117
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    958
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quoted
    381 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Honestly not sure why anyone would think winding a watch is a hassle. My brother missed winding his Nomos so much after he sold it that he ended up buying a Speedmaster in part just for the hand-winding. I frankly give a few winds to most of my automatic watches when I put them on, just to make sure they've got enough oomph in case I'm about to go sit at a desk for a while or something.
    I think it's fairly easy to understand (even if you don't agree with) why people think winding a watch is a hassle. It's another task to do and takes 10-20 seconds out of their day. Many people don't mind spending that time and even enjoy it, but some care about convenience; they prefer quartz watches over mechanical because you don't need to wind your watch and you don't need to set the time nearly as often.

  8. #1118
    Super Moderator LesserBlackDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,512
    Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2073 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    I think it's fairly easy to understand (even if you don't agree with) why people think winding a watch is a hassle. It's another task to do and takes 10-20 seconds out of their day. Many people don't mind spending that time and even enjoy it, but some care about convenience; they prefer quartz watches over mechanical because you don't need to wind your watch and you don't need to set the time nearly as often.
    Ok. Let me rephrase. I don't understand why anyone would think that winding a watch ever day is a hassle when they've deliberately gone out of their way to spend thousands of dollars on a piece of antiquated technology that costs thousands of dollars specifically because it is antiquated and requires silly hassles and babying like daily winding or resetting or using a watch-winder and getting services to the tune of several hundred dollars every few years... etc.

    Autos and manuals have different quirks, but they both have quirks that some might regard as "hassles." Those people would probably be better served by buying a cheaper, more accurate, more reliable, "grab 'n go" quartz watch.

    I've owned numerous watches of the quartz, manual, and automatic varieties, and TBH I find that - particularly if you wear more than one watch - automatics are a bigger hassle than manuals to keep wound and set to the right time/day/date.
    Ben

  9. #1119
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    958
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quoted
    381 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Ok. Let me rephrase. I don't understand why anyone would think that winding a watch ever day is a hassle when they've deliberately gone out of their way to spend thousands of dollars on a piece of antiquated technology that costs thousands of dollars specifically because it is antiquated and requires silly hassles and babying like daily winding or resetting or using a watch-winder and getting services to the tune of several hundred dollars every few years... etc.

    Autos and manuals have different quirks, but they both have quirks that some might regard as "hassles." Those people would probably be better served by buying a cheaper, more accurate, more reliable, "grab 'n go" quartz watch.

    I've owned numerous watches of the quartz, manual, and automatic varieties, and TBH I find that - particularly if you wear more than one watch - automatics are a bigger hassle than manuals to keep wound and set to the right time/day/date.
    Ok yes I agree with you that it's irrational to spend thousands of dollars on a manual watch and then complain about winding it being a hassle, however I brought up "winding being a hassle" as a consideration in the pre-purchase decision making process for @GinghamKing, as in if he doesn't want to wind his watch every day then that should steer him away from purchasing a manual watch. He's weighed the pros and cons and made an informed purchasing decision.

  10. #1120
    TMann
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    @TMann Ah. Out of curiosity, did you sell them via private sale, or through the store? And I can't believe you sold that gorgeous Speedmaster!
    Speedmaster? You're thinking of someone else. I like the Tag Heuer, but I wouldn't have sold a Speedy for this one. Most of the watches that I've owned over the past couple of years have been "nice affordables": Seikos, Citizens, a couple of Casios, a Tissot, plus a few Victorinox models.

    Almost everything that I've bought or sold in the past year has been through WatchUSeek and WatchRecon. Dangerous websites, those two.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •