Page 111 of 475 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161211 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 4741

Thread: What watch I wore today

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Any recommendation on buying a hand wound Panerai vs. Automatic? About a $2500 difference retail-wise

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quoted
    384 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GinghamKing View Post
    Any recommendation on buying a hand wound Panerai vs. Automatic? About a $2500 difference retail-wise
    Get an auto, much more practical. Any reason you'd want a manual other than cost?

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2081 Post(s)
    If you can remind yourself to wind the manual every day, I don't see that there is any serious practical advantage to an automatic. Plenty of people enjoy the daily ritual of winding their watch, and this is part of the charm of owning something like a Speedmaster Professional or Hamilton Khaki hand-wind. If a hand-wind Panerai is $2,500 that seems like the obvious way to go.
    Ben

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    Get an auto, much more practical. Any reason you'd want a manual other than cost?
    It's just less expensive. I'm not a big watch connusier, I wear what I think looks nice, not overly concerned with movement etc, but I do want something that has some flash-hence why I like panerai

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quoted
    384 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GinghamKing View Post
    It's just less expensive. I'm not a big watch connusier, I wear what I think looks nice, not overly concerned with movement etc, but I do want something that has some flash-hence why I like panerai
    Got it. Since you're not concerned with the technical aspect go with the auto. The benefits of a manual wind in my opinion are: 1) the potential for a thinner watch 2) a better looking movement and 3) lower cost.

1) Panerai is a big watch, not exactly going for sleek and understated to begin with so a potential few mm thinner doesn't really matter.
    2) In general for watches with a display back, a manual movement looks better because you don't have the rotor blocking half the movement. If you were getting an ALS chronograph or something then that's a different story, but there isn't really anything special about Panerai's finishing on their movements.
    3). $2500 difference is not trivial, but considering you're in the market for a Panerai in the first place, I assume that it's something that you can accept.

Conclusion is that I don't think that you would get much value from the benefits of a manual watch, so you're weighing $2,500 against the hassle of having the wind the watch every (other) morning. If I were in your shoes, I'd spend the extra $2,500 to get an auto; that way it doesn't become a chore to just wear my Panerai.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I love my Hamilton Khaki King ($15 in very bad condition) and thank god one of my hobbies is watch repair. Two evening later and a solid hour for polishing I have a watch that went from not running to +/-2 SECONDS a day.

Last edited by dbals; March 2nd, 2017 at 05:09 PM.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1119 Post(s)
    @dbals that's a steal!

I just received my newest addition. I actually bought a watch preloaded but it was 90% what I wanted and I was feeling lazy...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)

$15 automatic from china. I bought it off eBay and it's been working fine for about 1 yr now. I haven't really timed it, but it seems accurate enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    Got it. Since you're not concerned with the technical aspect go with the auto. The benefits of a manual wind in my opinion are: 1) the potential for a thinner watch 2) a better looking movement and 3) lower cost.

1) Panerai is a big watch, not exactly going for sleek and understated to begin with so a potential few mm thinner doesn't really matter.
    2) In general for watches with a display back, a manual movement looks better because you don't have the rotor blocking half the movement. If you were getting an ALS chronograph or something then that's a different story, but there isn't really anything special about Panerai's finishing on their movements.
    3). $2500 difference is not trivial, but considering you're in the market for a Panerai in the first place, I assume that it's something that you can accept.

Conclusion is that I don't think that you would get much value from the benefits of a manual watch, so you're weighing $2,500 against the hassle of having the wind the watch every (other) morning. If I were in your shoes, I'd spend the extra $2,500 to get an auto; that way it doesn't become a chore to just wear my Panerai.
    Thank you all for your help. After much consideration and research I opted for the classic PAM000 , it's a 2015 model so still very new and got it for a great price. It's got a 56h power reserve so will have to wind every other day, but excited about the purchase. Will post photos next week

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2081 Post(s)
    Honestly not sure why anyone would think winding a watch is a hassle. My brother missed winding his Nomos so much after he sold it that he ended up buying a Speedmaster in part just for the hand-winding. I frankly give a few winds to most of my automatic watches when I put them on, just to make sure they've got enough oomph in case I'm about to go sit at a desk for a while or something.
    Ben