Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 4950

Thread: What watch I wore today

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1107 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GinghamKing View Post
    The PAM005, although I wouldn't mind adding the "date bubble" to it.

I'm surprised you don't think Panerais hold value. The used are priced about the same as a Submariner which I was also considering, but I just am not a big fan
    A no-date Sub is $7,500 retail while the 005 is $5,000. A date Sub is in the $8,500 range. To have these match in the used market, you would need the Rolex to be pretty banged up as they seem to sit in the $5-$6K range in the used market.

The styles are pretty different so take you time with a big watch purchase. See if you can get it onto your wrist to see if it sits fine. A ton of people love an Omega Speedmaster but I have never cared for how it sat on my wrist. I tried one on in store with the intention of buying a watch but decided against it. Hell the dealer was just throwing discounts out and while attractive, I would have never worn it due to the feel.

There are tons of PAMs with different case shapes, sizes, and dial aesthetics and each one can have vastly different prices. Good luck.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    A no-date Sub is $7,500 retail while the 005 is $5,000. A date Sub is in the $8,500 range. To have these match in the used market, you would need the Rolex to be pretty banged up as they seem to sit in the $5-$6K range in the used market.

The styles are pretty different so take you time with a big watch purchase. See if you can get it onto your wrist to see if it sits fine. A ton of people love an Omega Speedmaster but I have never cared for how it sat on my wrist. I tried one on in store with the intention of buying a watch but decided against it. Hell the dealer was just throwing discounts out and while attractive, I would have never worn it due to the feel.

There are tons of PAMs with different case shapes, sizes, and dial aesthetics and each one can have vastly different prices. Good luck.

The used PAMS I'm seeing are between 5-7k alone.

As far as Omega, I'm not a fan of the brand. To me it looks like a Rolex knock-off

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1523 Post(s)
    About to pull the trigger on a Panerai. Any buying advice? Was thinking of buying used but not sure what factors to look for
    Congrat's on your pending watch purchase. I have to confess that I know NOTHING about Panerai watches. I would though suggest looking at a used watch, simply to save a bit of cake. Things I would look for when buying any used watch though apply here too.

- is the seller legit?
    - what are the seller's reviews like on forums such as WuS and maybe even straight-up Panerai sites?
    - have you narrowed the model and year down? If so, are you aware of what to look out for in that particular model/year?
    - what are you willing to live with (ie, a small scratch only visible in certain light, etc.)

Good luck. Post up your watch when you get it.

@HankScorpio that's a good question, re: wrist size. I don't know. I wouldn't worry about the watch wearing too big on you though. The styling of the watch just seems to 'fit'. Which is lame, I know. But I wasn't sure how else to put it. Also, the watch is quite popular so I have no doubt you'd be able to sell it used too. That's where I picked mine up, and it's been a great buy/find.
    Last edited by DocDave; February 28th, 2017 at 11:25 AM.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1107 Post(s)

As far as Omega, I'm not a fan of the brand. To me it looks like a Rolex knock-off
    I'd go to a store and try on as many watches as possible. If you are spending <$10K on a watch, you have IWC, JLC, Cartier, Rolex, Panerai, Omega, Nomos, Tudor, and many less expensive watches in the <$3K market.

I'd assume you would just be getting into watches by the comments.

TMann
    Quote Originally Posted by JaimeGarcia View Post
    Love the bracelet, TMann, what is it and where did you get it? I'll been searching for a nice substantial shark mesh that didn't look cheap but didn't break the bank, there doesn't seem to be a lot of middle ground out there.
    It is made by Strapcode and was purchased from Amazon. Its the only "shark-mesh" bracelet that I've ever owned, so I can't comment on how it compares to other brands, but I like it. I had to trim the links down to my wrist size, so there's no going back once you've cut off a certain length of bracelet. There is a certain amount of adjustability in the clasp, however, so it wasn't hard to get it comfortably sized for my smallish wrist.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    971 Post(s)

The first thing I found was $4,100 on a quick google search for a very nice condition 005 from a reputable online seller (actually where I bought my Rolex a couple years back). I'd look more if you're seeing $5-7k for a retail $4,700-5,000 watch.

Retention also isn't just about how much it loses instantly 'driven off the lot', but also how much they hold value over longer periods of time. Rolex has a deep vintage or pre-vintage/used market, Panerai less so. Used pricing also changes depending on the model, even within brands, so it's something you need to look into and not rush through if you want to find a decent deal.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1158 Post(s)
    Quintessential beater today. Skx007 on a tropic rubber strap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    Quintessential beater today. Skx007 on a tropic rubber strap.

Strap looks great with the watch! May I ask what brand? I would love to grab a rubber strap.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1158 Post(s)
    Thanks. I bought the watch second and and it came with it. I know that geckota and ofrie both have tropic straps though. This one looks good but it's actually kind of cheap feeling. I want to upgrade.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    260 Post(s)